Follow this tutorial to learn the best workflow for importing and editing Canon XA10 MTS with Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Final Cut Express, Adobe Premiere Pro by converting MTS files to a Mac most compatible format.
For its high quality, Canon XA10 AVCHD camcorders is popular among the videographers; however, the output videos in AVCHD(a highly compressed format) are hard to edit. And the video editing software for Mac like FCP, iMovie, FCE, Adobe Premiere Pro can’t support Canon XA10 MTS videos on Mac OS X perfectly. Q1: How to import video from Canon XA10 to FCP (X)
“I have a ton of footage a client brought in that was shot on a Canon XA10 HD camcorder. They are .MTS files. I don't see any timecode on them. I need to get them into FCP X to edit with. Everything goes south when I try to import into FCP X, however. The software does not recognize the camera. If I pull out the SD card and try importing from there, the card will be immediately recognized on the desktop, but FCP X does not see it and will not import it.” Q2: Canon XA10 Compatibility with iMovie
“I am wondering if iMovie supports Canon XA10? The xa10 isn't listed on the iMovie support list but the list hasn't been updated since early January. I've also heard that many cameras are not listed for whatever reason though they work in iMovie. So.. what's the chance of the xa10 working? Also, does AVCHD codec harder to work with on a Mac? I've its annoying to use...” Q3: Canon XA10 MTS files in Adobe Premiere Pro
"I am a newbie of Canon XA10. The format shows AVCHD Video (.MTS) - into Adobe Premiere. I have CS5, running on Mac OS X. I got know Adobe Premiere CS5 and later work with AVCHD video, but requires a 64 bit computer. So, I have to convert the files. When I convert .MTS to another format do I lose lots of quality? That is my only worry."
In generally, the latest version of these Mac applications FCP, iMovie, FCE, Adobe Premiere Pro tends to support AVCHD videos, but we have to accept the truth that AVCHD, a highly compressed format is not ideal for editing. More than one problem has been occurred during the importing & editing process like the slow rendering, program crashed, can’t recognize the camera…
To solve these issues in an effective way, you’re advised to get Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac
. It can aid you to change AVCHD (*.MTS) files to Apple ProRes for FCP, standard MPEG-2 format for Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) for FCE/iMovie without losing any quality. In fact, it’s an all-in-one converter for fast transcoding, deinterlacing AVCHD MTS footage from Canon, Panasonic, JVC, Sony full HD camcorder/cameras on Mac OS X(Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion) that makes the MTS editing work much easier with Non-Linear System. Easy Guide on Converting Canon XA10 MTS recordings to FCP/iMovie/FCE/Premiere Step 1:
Install the MTS Converter on your Mac and load your .mts/.m2ts files to it. Step 2:
Click on the Format box and select a proper format in dropdown-list.
a. You are advised to choose “Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)”or “Apple ProRes 422 HQ (*.mov)” format for Final Cut Pro.
b. Select Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas > MPEG-2 (*.mpg) as output format for Premiere Pro.
c. iMovie and Final Cut Express -> Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) (*.mov) is the best format for editing Canon VIXIA AVCHD in iMovie 8/9/11. Step 3:
Click the Arrow button on the main interface to start the Canon XA10 to FCP/iMovie/FCE/Premiere Conversion. Once the process is at 100%, then the converted video is ready for importing and editing on Mac OS X. Other features of the Mac AVCHD Converter:
1. Joining files: Tick the box "Merge into one" on the main interface.
2. Preview: Double click on the file and you can get a preview on the converter.
3. Adjust parameters: Click Settings icon you are allowed to modify the Bitrate of Video&Audio, Video Size, Sample Rate, Frame Rate, Audio Channels, etc.
4. Crop: Edit --> Crop and you can get the imported videos cropped as you want.
5. Auto shutdown: Click Option and tick the box “Shut down the computer after conversion” before conversion starts. More tricks: Convert Panasonic Lumix GH3 footage to edit in Avid Symphony Import Canon XA10 AVCHD 1080p files to Avid Media Composer Mac Transcode 1080p AVCHD Files to MPEG-2/WMV for Adobe Premiere Pro Convert Canon VIXIA HF R40/HF R42/HF R400 AVCHD to AIC .mov for iMovie Make Canon/Nikon DSLRs H.264 videos editable with FCP 7/X Canon XF305/XF105/XF100/XF300 MXF to Premiere Pro Canon Vixia R40 AVCHD and Avid Workflow Canon XF305/XF300 50Mbps MXF to FCP(X) Canon XF305/XF105/XF100/XF300 MXF to Premiere Pro CS5 workflow
Source: Load Canon XA10 MTS clips into FCP/iMovie/FCE/Premiere