Blue Screen

Last Post 30 May 2013 10:29 AM by dstoltz. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
dstoltz

--
24 May 2013 09:39 AM
Hi All,

I have a SQL 2008R2 box that houses many critical databases.

Several months ago, the server blue screened. Since then, I've discovered it only blue-screens when logging on as a specific user. If any other user logs on to the server, it's fine.

I've rebooted, logged on as a different user, and tried to delete the user profile (through windows UI) that is causing the blue screens - the user profile dialog box just hangs....

So, it seems it's not a SQL problem, but perhaps more of a HDD problem....?

I'd like to remove the profile, but not sure how to do it since it hangs the dialog box when I try to....

Any suggestions how I should proceed?
gunneyk

--
24 May 2013 09:58 AM
It looks like you need to delete the registry key for that profile. I want to caution that this is not my area of expertise and do this at your own risk. But here are two ways that I found that seem to both say the same thing and that is to edit the registry.

http://waronerrors.com/kb/how-to-re...erver.aspx

Also

How to MANUALLY delete a user profile - Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2

These steps can be followed if a user profile was deleted by deleting or removing the C:\Users\UserName folder.

1.Open the Start menu
2.Enter in 'regedit' and press enter
3.Navigate to the following registry key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
4.Under ProfileList navigate to binary key’s like this : S-1-5-21-3656904587-1668747452-4095529-500
5.On the right side under ProfileImagePath you’’ll see the username and profile path.
6.Chose the one with the desired user and delete the long reg key like : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

dstoltz

--
24 May 2013 10:33 AM
Thanks for the reply - I should have mentioned - the server is 2003, so editing the registry isn't needed - I just need to delete the actual user folder, and it will be re-created when that user logs on again.

I'm convinced it's a bad sector, or something of the like on the drive - so I'm thinking perhaps I need to somehow delete that folder, but not through Windows...
gunneyk

--
26 May 2013 07:52 PM
Maybe you should do a check disk. Do people really run Windows 2003 still :)
russellb

--
28 May 2013 09:45 PM
You need to be prepared to restore/migrate quickly as well.

Blue screens are always bad news, and often caused by bad disk(s).

What is the disk configuration of this server?
dstoltz

--
29 May 2013 04:24 AM
There are two disks, disk 1 is used for C system, and disk 2 is used for D (Data)...I'm guessing the user profile on C has a disk sector problem, but it only seems to be that one profile....

I guess I can run a read only check disk to see if it finds any problems? (without rebooting or taking the server offline)...and if it find anything, then schedule a reboot with scan and fix?

Thoughts?
dstoltz

--
30 May 2013 10:29 AM
UPDATE: I ran a CHKDSK in read-only mode - there are no disk errors.

I was successful in deleting the c:\documents and settings\users\username\ files for the profile causing the problem.

I would assume at this point, that user could log on without further issue - it should recreate the profile....

I'm guessing there was a corrupt file in the profile? Not sure - still a little scared to log on with that user account.... :-|
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy