Using 3rd party app to align existing partition on RAID.

Last Post 24 Apr 2013 05:06 PM by gunneyk. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bretabennett

--
22 Mar 2013 09:35 AM
Hi,

I'm working on an "old man" SBS 2003 Premium box this week:
Intel SC5200 Server.
Intel Server Board SE7501HG2.
Adaptec SRCZCR Raid Controller.
10ea Cheetah 10K.6 SCSI Disc Drives (OS is on RAID 1, MSSQL logs on RAID 1, MSSQL data on 4 disk RAID 5, and finally two auto/manual hot swap drives on hotswap controller backplane (ie. HSC)).

I've just taken notice that both the SQL log drive (ie. on RAID 1) and the data drive (on RAID 5) are not on aligned partitions. I see that (for example) partitionwizard.com offers a server edition product that handles re-alignment (I am confirming that with them today).

Has anyone here ever used a product like this to re-align existing SQL partitons? (I'm assuming it would be a good idea to Stop the SQL instance first).

Regards,
Bret
gunneyk

--
23 Mar 2013 08:00 PM
To the best of my knowledge there are no products that can change the alignment live. It has been my experience that the drives essentially need to be reformatted so all data on those drives will be lost. If they can do it live I would be very surprised but I guess anything is possible. I would absolutely ensure you have solid restorable backups of all dbs before you attempt anything though.
skyline212

--
24 Apr 2013 03:56 PM
Lepide SQL Storage Manager Create, Switch, Alter and remove partitions from Tables and Index level without using native services.
LSSM uses table and index partition wizard when we need large retrieving records or upload more data first we partition of table and index. It will realign your existing partion
which will reduces network traffic and increase database performance.
http://www.sqlservermanagement.net/
gunneyk

--
24 Apr 2013 05:06 PM
Skyline, they were asking about disk partition alignment not SQL Server partitions. But good to know.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy