De-Attach and Attach method

Last Post 17 Aug 2012 04:23 PM by gunneyk. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ctseah

--
16 Aug 2012 07:27 PM

Hi,

abc.mdf file in S:\drive
abc.ldf file in S:\drive
abc_2.ldf file in E:\drive

abc_2.ldf was created recently in E:\drive as a temporary measure due to insufficient freespace in S\drive.

Customer has given another logical drive called G:\drive which has ample space for growth.
I am going to move all the above datafiles (mdf and ldf) to this new logical drive.

Can I use deattach method and then move these files to G:\drive and then attach them back to the system ?

Do you thing there will be any complication in this process as to ldf currently located in S:\drive and E:\drive ? Intention is to move them all the newly created G:\drive

Thanks in advance.

regards

rm

--
17 Aug 2012 05:41 AM
I prefer to modify file path with 'alter database', take db offline, copy files to new location then bring db online. Much saver than detach/attach.
gunneyk

--
17 Aug 2012 04:23 PM
I have never had an issue with attaching a db but in 2008 the preferred syntax is CREATE DATABASE FOR ATTACH. I would do a DBCC SHRINKFILE with EMPTYFILE on that 2nd log file before you dettach it as there is no need for two files if you have the space on the drive. However I would prefer to see the log file on a different physical array than the data file for performance reasons but as always it depends on many factors as to if this is necessary or practical.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy