add new sql server registeration failed- login failed for user

Last Post 06 May 2012 01:10 PM by rm. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
knowledge_base

--
04 May 2012 11:26 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to access to remote sql server to view the database tables. I have sql server 2000. I follow the instruction that I found from the web, as below.

In the Enterprise Manager, right click on the SQL Server Group and select New SQL Server Registration. Then I added in the sql server name as serverABC\dbaseXYZ, select SQL Server Authentication on next screen, and enter user name and password on next screen. On last screen when I click finish. I got message as below.

Server registration completed.

serverABC\dbaseXYZ - Login failed for user 'myuserid

For sure the problem is not from fire wall because my co-worker can access it but he use Management studio which I don't have. He has the same authority level as mine.

I google and found a post of the same problem. The problem got resolve by changing authentication to mix mode.
I want to try this but problem is I cann't access the property of the server that I just created.
When I do right click on the server name and select property, I got error msg as below.

A connection could not be established to serverABC\dbaseXYZ.
Reason:Logon failed for user 'myuserid'

Please verify SQL server is running and check your sqs server registration property (by right click on the serABC\dbaseXYA node) and try again

Thanks in advance

rm

--
05 May 2012 01:10 PM
Which sql version is your remote server? Sql2k server manager can't connect higher version of sql.
knowledge_base

--
05 May 2012 04:11 PM
Hi,

The remote server is sql 2008.

>>Sql2k server manager can't connect higher version of sql.
What's sql2k server manager?

I'm a sql newbie.

Thanks.
knowledge_base

--
05 May 2012 04:18 PM
Never mind. It was stupid question. Thank you for your help.
rm

--
06 May 2012 01:10 PM
Should be 'sql server enterprise manager'.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy