.NET Application Development using SQL Server Services and Databases

Last Post 15 Nov 2011 07:12 AM by gunneyk. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
SentinelSQL

--
14 Nov 2011 06:33 PM
This is a general question relating to a .NET app we are building that processes data contained within SQL Server 2008 R2 databases.

Originally, we were anti***ting distributing our app to our user base, requiring that our users install the free version of SQL Express 2008 R2 Edition.  Unfortunately, our app cannot live with the 1 GB of memory limitation or the 10 GB database size limitation of the SQL Express Edition.  The Standard Edition of SQL Server 2008 R2's limitations, however, will work perfectly for the app.  

The question is, how do we distribute the app to the user base without requiring them to purchase a full version of SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition (at a hefty price)?

I think I recall that earlier versions of SQL Server provided a SQL Server distributable runtime version that could provided to the users of a .NET app that accessed SQL databases and services, without requiring the user to purchase a full blown edition of SQL Server.  I could not find anything like that, however, related to the SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition.

I might mention that the app is a standalone app, which runs only on a user's desktop system (not in a server environment).  The app and the SQL databases are all contained on the user's desktop.

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.   Much appreciated!
rm

--
15 Nov 2011 04:43 AM
Express is the only edition that you can free ditribute I as understand.
gunneyk

--
15 Nov 2011 07:12 AM
Yes rm is correct. Express is the only free version. Your uses will need to purchase a license for any other SQL Server edition. BTW there was a workstation edition that was cheaper than Standard and has a 4GB memory cap but not one on the database size.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy