replicating databases to QA SQL server

Last Post 22 Aug 2011 08:52 AM by samuelh. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
samuelh

--
18 Aug 2011 03:20 PM
I have two databases on a Standard SQL Server 2008 R2 server in production. I do have an isolated separate test SQL server which does have the same databases for testing purposes.

I want to create a new SQL server, a third box, which will host the same databases as production for QA purposes. This is where the final test happen before apps go live. These databases on this 3rd box, should be exactly the same as production. what is the best recommendation to replicate the data from production to the QA SQL server. One database is about 250GB and the other is about 30GB.

Replication is one of the first options. would that put a lot of stress on my production box? how about SSIS? Mirroring?

Thanks in advance

gunneyk

--
18 Aug 2011 04:26 PM
Why not simply do a backup and restore? With dbs so small it shouldnt take very long for that and there would be little overhead on the production server.
rm

--
19 Aug 2011 06:13 AM
Mirroring is not the option here because no one can access mirrored copy.
samuelh

--
19 Aug 2011 10:05 AM
Thanks for getting back to me on this.
yes I did think about backup and restore. But 250gb database takes a couple of hours at least to backup and restore. So I thought maybe there was a better/quicker solution.

Thanks again

rm

--
19 Aug 2011 12:04 PM
Sql2k8 r2 standard edition supports backup compression, took me about 30 minutes to backup 400gb db over network.
gunneyk

--
19 Aug 2011 01:29 PM
I agree with rm 250GB with compression shouldnt take very long at all and it isn't something that usualy woudln't do very often.
samuelh

--
22 Aug 2011 08:52 AM
Thanks again for all the input on this!
Sam.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy