Changing the data source connections

Last Post 23 May 2011 11:12 AM by PaulMcKibben. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PaulMcKibben

--
20 May 2011 08:37 AM
I have yet to find how to change the connection string in a Reporting Services data source and thought that I would ask how here.

I have an environment where the report definitions and data sources will be developed against one SQL server, deployed through a source version control tool, ChangeMan, to a test RS server, and then after testing promoted to a production RS server.  At that point, the data source connection string needs to be modified to reference a production SQL server.

SSIS allows the developer to build a package with a configuration file that can be modified through the deployment utility.  Is there anything like that with RS?

I know about the "standard" deployment function, build the report in BIDS and deploy it to the RS server. 

I don't have the environment that will allow the developer to build and deploy to a production server, and it is frowned on to allow them to deploy directly to the test environment.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to address this?

Thank you.
rm

--
21 May 2011 03:44 AM
You can change data source in RS management console after deploying reports.
PaulMcKibben

--
23 May 2011 09:56 AM
Thank you, RM.

I am meaning the connection string inside of the individual report data sources. For example, when the report is promoted to a testing environment, the server portion of the report's data source(s) needed to be changed from SQL-D to SQL-T, and when the report is promoted to production, the server would need to be changed from SQL-T to SQL-P.

rm

--
23 May 2011 10:47 AM
There's data source tab in report manager url, can modify data source there.
PaulMcKibben

--
23 May 2011 11:12 AM
Thank you.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy