Temp Table

Last Post 10 Feb 2011 07:26 AM by gunneyk. 11 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
river1

--
26 Jan 2011 03:52 AM
Hi Masters,

Some of the people (programmers) that work in my department when creating a temporary table to do something, they create like this:

create table tablename

Then, when they do not need to use this tbale they destroi it.

like:    drop table tablename

Isn't more correct to create  a temp table like :    create table #tablename  or create table  ##tablename?

I think that one of this to methods is better, then use the first, can you masters explain the reason why is better to use the create table #tablename instead of creating a normal table?

I think that, it is because when i create a normal table it will create infromation on the log of the database. When i drop the table the same thing appens.

But if i create a real temp table (#) the information will only be written in the Temp database.

Am i correct?

Thank you

rm

--
26 Jan 2011 06:57 AM
Depends on what the table for and scope of availability, sql will log those in either tempdb or user db.
river1

--
30 Jan 2011 08:59 AM
sorry master RM didn.t understood your answer...
gunneyk

--
30 Jan 2011 12:47 PM
Both a real table and temp table log information in the tran logs but the temp table will log in the tempdb log vs. the user db log. The biggest problem with a real table is that if the name is the same as someone elses temp table there will be a problem. If they need a real table for some reason that is only temp in nature they might want to consider creating a staging type database that is used for that purpose and then all that work will not be in the production db. Keep that one in SIMPLE mode.
river1

--
31 Jan 2011 12:52 AM
Thank you.

I just didn't understood yet, what you mean with : Both a real table and temp table log information in the tran logs but the temp table will log in the tempdb log vs. the user db log

Can a real temp table (#tablename) log information into the transaction log of a user database? in wich conditions?

Thnka you once again.
russellb

--
31 Jan 2011 04:23 AM
No. a #temp table will use tempdb log
gunneyk

--
31 Jan 2011 06:11 AM
I meant that they both log their actions but a #table will do it in the tempdb log file where as a real table that is created in a user db will log inthat user dbs log file.
russellb

--
31 Jan 2011 11:01 AM
Pedro, it may help to understand that all #temp tables live in tempdb.
river1

--
08 Feb 2011 04:00 AM
Yes Master Russellb , that i know.

That's why i don't understand why people create "temp tables" as normal tables ..... instead of creating a real temp table that will only log infromation into temp DB log. Can you see any advantage on that? i only see disadvantages
gunneyk

--
08 Feb 2011 12:18 PM
The temp table only stays around until the session is done. If you need a temporary type table to persist for a certain period of time you have to create a real table. That is really the only reason to do so. Usually it is done by people who don't understand SQL Server.
russellb

--
09 Feb 2011 07:43 PM
Speaking of which, I have never, ever found the need to create a ##GlobalTemp. Have you guys?
gunneyk

--
10 Feb 2011 07:26 AM
Not any legimitate reasons for global temp tables
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy