Adding RS to a SQL 2008R2 instance

Last Post 06 Jan 2011 03:04 AM by dstoltz. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dstoltz

--
05 Jan 2011 10:21 AM
Hi all,

We currently have a 2 node cluster SQL 2008R2 named instance.

We did not install Reporting Services when this was setup, and we would like to add it now.

Do I simply throw in the 2008R2 CD and go through the setup, checking off the reporting services option?

Is there anything I should be careful of? Will this result in any downtime/outage of the SQL service?

I read this can also be done by going to the control panel, add/remove, and selecting the CHANGE option for the SQL 2008 install...

What advice do you have?

Many thanks!

Dave

rm

--
05 Jan 2011 12:24 PM
Yes, just choose RS to add and not down time for sql. Keep in mind that RS is not cluster aware, better to run it on separate machine.
russellb

--
05 Jan 2011 01:13 PM
Agree with rm. I would install RS on a web server.
dstoltz

--
06 Jan 2011 03:04 AM
Thanks -

Being cluster aware is not important as in the past 4 years we have never had an unplanned fail over. We realize if this does happen, RS will stop working until failed back to the primary - it's a minimal risk we are willing to take.

As for installing on a different server, this would require an entirely new SQL license. As it was explained to me from Microsoft, if it's on the same machine as the SQL instance, you do not need any further licensing, but installing it on it's own machine, it would require more SQL licensing. So cost wise, this is why it's going on the same machine.

Thanks for all the help!

-Dave
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy