script to insert timestamp records into table for testing

Last Post 15 Jun 2010 09:41 AM by gunneyk. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sidewinder6x

--
15 Jun 2010 06:50 AM
I am a server administrator with some knowledge of SQL Server. I usually only support SQL configuration and performance and the maintenance of the underlying OS. 

We are testing a backup strategy and I would like to set up a script that inserts records while we are doing the testing. Preferably one of the columns would be a date/time stamp so we can see what occurs during the backup and also once we try a restore, to determine if extra steps are needed to recover to a point in time.

Any help or links would be appreciated.
gunneyk

--
15 Jun 2010 09:41 AM
I am not sure what script you are looking for as it sounds like a simple Insert. But what exactly are you trying to test? I can assume you that SQL Server backup is all inclusive and will up to date as of the end of the backup. If you have transaction log backups you can restore to a point in time using the STOP AT option of the RESTORE command. The functionality exisits and works and other than taking the proper backups there is nothing else you need to do to make it happen. So is there a specific scenario you are worried about?
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy