Registry value

Last Post 18 Mar 2010 09:47 AM by PaulMcKibben. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PaulMcKibben

--
17 Mar 2010 08:18 AM
Is there a way to verify that the registry value is present in the registy other than executing xp_regread and receiving a "RegQueryValueEx() returned error 2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.'
Msg 22001, Level 1, State 1" error?

I am using xp_regread to return the value of a registry entry, and I know that it is undo***ented. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\
MSSQLServer\NumErrorLog is the key that I am retrieving.

My code is:

SELECT @hive = 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE'
SELECT @regkey = N'Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer'
INSERT INTO #keyexist
EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_regread @hive, @regkey
SELECT @keyexist = keyexist FROM #keyexist
-- If @keyexist is equal to 1, the @hive and @regkey combination is found
IF @keyexist = 1
BEGIN
SELECT @regvalue = 'NumErrorLogs'
EXECUTE @rc = master.dbo.xp_regread @hive, @regkey, @regvalue,
@data OUTPUT, N'no output'

In my current code @rc is equal to zero. Is there a way to verify that the registry is present? Or is there a way to capture the return code 2?

Thank you.
russellb

--
17 Mar 2010 08:32 AM
Your code works fine for me. Even if I change it to a key that doesn't exist (then I get a zero)

Looks like a permissions error to me. Is the service account local admin on the host?

-- Russell --
---------------------------------
SQL Server Magazine Forum Pro
PaulMcKibben

--
17 Mar 2010 08:45 AM
Russell,

Thank you.

I don't believe it is a permission issue because I have a T-SQL that is using xp_regread to retrieve other registry values, and this is just another instance of xp_regread in that script. The server that I developing and testing the script against does not have the NumErrorLogs entry in the registry. I verified that by remoting to the server and running regedit.

The RegQueryValueEx() error is, as you know, not shown in the results area, it is in the messages.

Paul
russellb

--
17 Mar 2010 07:24 PM
Weird. Even if I change the @hive or @regkey to garbage, I just get a zero. What SP Level are you running this on?

-- Russell --
----------------------------------------
SQL Server Magazine Forum Pro
PaulMcKibben

--
18 Mar 2010 09:41 AM
We are running 2005 Standard SP3
PaulMcKibben

--
18 Mar 2010 09:47 AM
The @regvalue of 'NumErrorLogs' is not present under the @hive and @regkey combination. The results show a zero return code, but the messages show the message.

I wasn't sure if anyone had run across this before and had a solution. Since xp_regread is undo***ented there is little on the errors from it.

Thanks.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy