SQL 2005 Licensing

Last Post 15 Oct 2008 08:52 AM by SQLUSA. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
shusta

--
14 Oct 2008 01:39 PM
Current scenario: Production server running SQL 2000 with a 4 CPU license replicates SQL data via a third party application to another server running the same instance of SQL 2000 with a 4 CPU license. I have been told this is acceptable because my backup server has all its SQL services turned off as well as the same number of CPUs. The second server is a backup server.

Proposed scenario: New production server running SQL 2005 with a 2 CPU license replicates SQL data via a third party application to another server running the same instance of SQL 2005 with 4 CPUs. What licensing effect will this have on SQL 2005 and the number of CPUs on the two servers? Can I install SQL 2005 on the second server with 4 CPUs and when asked during the install say 2 CPUs? Or will my two servers have to have an equal number of CPUs?

Thanks for the help,
Scott
SQLUSA

--
15 Oct 2008 08:52 AM
Scott,

I am afraid your current arrangement requires 2 licenses as well. As soon as for any reason you would have to use the standby server for anything, your site would be in license terms violation.

I suggest that you contact Microsoft Sales for confirmation.

Kalman Toth
http://www.sqlusa.com
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy