Questions about Imaging

Last Post 23 May 2006 08:51 PM by GoldenGal. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Krypto

--
01 Aug 2005 07:08 AM
We have a VB6 app, with sql 2000 backend.

We want to start using images. Our customers would need to save the image during the saving of a record, and then retrieve the document with the search results.

What are my options? Are there good imaging VB 6/SQL components? How should I configure the DB? Should I use a file based or SQL based storage? Pros / cons..

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
SQLUSA

--
18 Sep 2005 11:28 PM
The simplest is file based storage. You only store the file name (path) in the database.

SQL server was not designed for image manipulation. There are a few commands, but not very powerful.

Kalman Toth, SQL Guru
http://www.sqlusa.com
sqladmin

--
27 Apr 2006 08:57 AM
if you are looking to save images in a table base format, then
you should look into the BLOB datatype.
cmdr_jpskywalker

--
28 Apr 2006 05:20 PM
yes, you have to use blob (binary large object). check examples in the internet for VB code, (sample image table):
CREATE TABLE dbo.ImageRepository(
imageSAID INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
FileName VARCHAR(150) NOT NULL,
Path VARCHAR(150) NOT NULL,
FileDate DATETIME NOT NULL,
Description VARCHAR(512) NULL,
KeyWords VARCHAR(256) NULL,
RawData IMAGE NOT NULL
)
GO

between file vs. database, i suggest you use database because of organization (you can create other table pointing to the same record), easier query support, central repository (protection, maintenance, etc). Using file, you have to comeup with a naming convention so you would easily understand when you look under a directory (or subdirectories), create additional attributes in a separate storage, maintaining its integrity can also be a challenge. The hassle can be a lot compared to what you're going to loss if you use a database. you already have sql 2000 so why not use it to the fullest?

GoldenGal

--
23 May 2006 08:51 PM
Hey Krypto,

If you're thinking about using the file-based storage solution mentioned by SQLUSA, just make sure that your backup solution is TOTALLY solid and synchronized! A couple of years ago I had a client who had just such a solution, and it worked rather well, until the server crashed. They had a good full backup of the database, but the system files hadn't been backed up in a couple of days. Needless to say, they lost the images that were on the server.

If you opt for the database solution, be prepared for rather large backup files and lengthy backup operations. Of course, these can be mitigated with hardware and 3rd-party software solutions.

Have fun!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy