Transactional replication problem

Last Post 23 Oct 2004 05:00 PM by prospec. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jpopnoe

--
02 Mar 2004 09:59 AM
Attempting to finalize a transactional replication set-up with a pull subscription from my local subscriber to a publication db hosted on a remote server. The server hosting the publication db is rebooted for maintenance purposes on a regular (weekly) basis. During the last two reboots, the distribution agent has become marked as suspect after ten minutes (per the Refresh Rate/Settings in the Replication Monitor), and no transactions are applied until I manually choose to 'Start Synchronizing' the subscription.

I'm working with a third party analyst to help with the configuration, and have been told that the changes must be made on my end (i.e. subscription end) to tinker with the distribution agent to re-establish the connection. I'm not certain if I need to set up jobs to restart synchronization, steps in the distribution agent, or change Refresh Rate/Settings in the Replication Monitor on the publisher, but I need to automate the process so that transactions are applied to the replicated data as soon as the server is brought back up following the reboot. Not sure how many folks have had to deal with such a convoluted configuration, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Larry_SQL

--
02 Mar 2004 12:58 PM
I am not sure if this will work for you in your environment, but I have my replication agents set to fire every one minute instead of running continuously. This way if an agent has a problem, it has a chance to run successfully at the next minute.
jpopnoe

--
02 Mar 2004 01:24 PM
Larry, thanks for the response. I know I'll get some resistance from my users, as they want the replicated data to effectively be as "live" as the live data (although I have explained the idea of latency a few thousand times). Modifying the settings on the agents to run every minute does avoid the problem of having them shut down on me, and would likely not even be noticed by my users...

I was hoping there would be an easy way to adjust the steps in the properties of the Distribution Agent to issue a "Start Synchronizing" command and keep reattempting to connect when the agent becomes 'suspect'. Can you theorize why the distribution agent (running from the subscriber) would fail to begin applying transactions when the server hosting the publication db is rebooted? I have to manually choose to "Start Synchronizing" with each of these failures (usually at 1 am) after the agent is marked as suspect per the Refresh Rate/Settings in the Replication Monitor, and I'd be out of the woods if I could figure out a means to trigger a "Start Sync" should these conditions be detected. I have the logging set to document any 14151 (agent failures) on both the publication and subscription side, but am not getting any notifications sent to me per the alerts I have configured.
prospec

--
21 Oct 2004 12:52 PM
Larry_SQL,
Just want to understand what you said. So you have a schedule to start the Distribution Agent? What happens if the Agent is already running, does this cause any problems? Do you have a schedule to stop the Agent?
I'm thinking about the same thing but I'm not clear on how to implement it. If it is just one schedule to start the Agent every minute or so and that's it.
prospec

--
23 Oct 2004 10:59 AM
Pro Pete,
How would you go about doing that? Is it just an other step that is scheduled to start the job? What happens if the job is already running and the step trys to restart the job? Also is is possible to have diferent distribution agents for the same subscriber? If so how do you create them?
prospec

--
23 Oct 2004 05:00 PM
Hey Pro Pete,
Okay, I here your noise, how about a push publication? Can there be only one distribution agent for that type?
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy