DTS or Stored Procedure. Which is best?

Last Post 12 Apr 2002 01:59 AM by satya. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DocX

--
08 Apr 2002 08:17 AM
I'm doing development in a system that doesn't really have any front-end support for SQL whatsoever. It's a proprietary 3GL (it sucks really) system that has support for SQL via a 'user' function that basically lets you execute any valid SINGLE SQL statement (SELECT, or EXECUTE <stored procedure>, etc.). Much of the SQL I write is single-mission task oriented (hit a button, have a bunch of lookups done and modify alot of the back-end data). From a strategy and performance standpoint would it be better to design DTS packages for these tasks for the bulk of the scripting and only call Stored Procedures WITHIN those packages for frequently used code or write all of these tasks in Stored Procedures and just call EXECUTES to them? It has always been my understanding that Stored Procedures are advantageous for reused calls not for storing massive amounts of code that is rarely used. Or does this really matter at all?

Thanks!

Doc
satya

--
12 Apr 2002 01:59 AM
Both have advantages using in different environments, DTS gives you flexibility to handle huge data and you can modify the code according to your need.

If you're comfortable using SP than DTS follow it.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy