newbie needs help

Last Post 22 Dec 2003 03:29 AM by tengtium_SQL. 13 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
tengtium_SQL

--
21 Dec 2003 04:25 PM
hi,

before i continue, let me first gave you an overview about my status. i new to SQL Server before i'm just using MS Access database. i have a win 98se, with 32mb memory! i have a couple of simple app/addin and i wanted to use SQL Server. first i bought SQL Server 2k enterprise edition, but when i already installing the application if found out i need to upgrade my hardware and software in order to use it. but i don't have the money to it.

so my first question:
Is it possible to SQL Server2k enterprise edition on my computer without upgrading my software and hardware:

so i bought the later version, SQL 7. at first glance on its documentation i found some interesting text. SQL-DMO, i believe this is the Object model to manipulate all objects and collection inside the SQL Server. Please correct me if not!.

so my second question:
What happen to ADO? Does it mean to say I can use either both or pick just one to do my database work?

thank for advance. Please don't make me look stupid or something. Remember i'm a newbie!
satya

--
21 Dec 2003 10:39 PM
The SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition and the Desktop Engine are the only editions whose server components can be installed on Windows Me or Windows 98. Windows 98 do not have a component that corresponds to Window NT or Windows 2000 services. The SQL Server database engine and SQL Server Agent run as executable programs on Windows 98.

TO use the Enterprise Edition you must have SERVER edition for OS such as WIN NT4.0 atleast.

SQL-DMO collections are containers for objects of identical type. Yes you can use either DMO or ADO to use the application with database.
satya

--
22 Dec 2003 01:10 AM
Never tried, but don't think so.
tengtium_SQL

--
22 Dec 2003 02:06 AM
what about window nt option pack? does this option pack runs on win 98? and if i do install window nt option pack. is it not possible to do so!
satya

--
22 Dec 2003 02:11 AM
To run any of the features on the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack you require atleast Windows NT workstation or NT Server 4.0, where you will need to have installed both Windows NT Service Pack 3 or Service Pack 4 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01. Additional requirements vary according to your operating system.

Windows NT and Windows 95/98 are different operating systems.
satya

--
22 Dec 2003 02:20 AM
Coming to Ver7. SQL Desktop Edition server component has the capability of running on Windows 95/98, Windows NT Workstation, Windows NT Server, and Windows NT Enterprise.

Moreover, the h/w is less standard as compared to the HCL and you must have atleast 64 MB ram to work with desktop edition for SQL server.
tengtium_SQL

--
22 Dec 2003 02:31 AM
i'm sorry for nagging this questions. now, i'm felling stupid or something
just last two question please!

according to some doc. in order to test your asp files or other web application you must need at least pws! and window nt option pack included this pws. Right? when i browse my win 98 installer i found pws. does this mean pws is different from window nt option pack? can you clear my mind about this!

last question:
Are you suggesting that i don't install sql server2k ent. ed. and just use the sql server ver 7.0! and if i do install sql server 7.0 what will i choose? the desktop edition or the other one (i think i saw standard ed)?

thank so much for enormous info.
satya

--
22 Dec 2003 02:51 AM
You can have PWS on Windows 98 which comes by default and as you said it must have PWS installed to access web programs from win 98 client.

Based upon your current configuration you cannot install either Personal or Desktop edition of SQL 2000 or Desktop edition of SQL 7 being less memory, where a min. of 64 min is required.

By all means to know about SQL Server ability, atleast you get a machine with 128 MB RAM and Server edition for OS.
tengtium_SQL

--
22 Dec 2003 03:08 AM
but i did successfully installed sql 7.0 in my computer! only desktop edition!! and satya thank you so much for all you help and info.
satya

--
22 Dec 2003 03:14 AM
You can install but will have slower performance issues or machine will hang if you want to peform any operation using enterprise manager, anyway its upto you to work with.... happy SQLing....
satya

--
22 Dec 2003 03:18 AM
Yes I agree you can install, I clarified my doubt after referring to HCL.
It refers ....32MB RAM (minimum for Desktop Engine), 64MB RAM (minimum for all other editions) 128 MB RAM or more recommended

Richard, for the Developer Edition the following OS is must:
Windows NT Server/Workstation 4.0 with Service Pack 5
Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 5
Windows 2000 (all editions)

tengtium_SQL

--
22 Dec 2003 03:29 AM
thank you satya!
tengtium_SQL

--
22 Dec 2003 03:42 PM
oh, i'm sorry about that, i mean the previous version! Happy?
satya

--
22 Dec 2003 10:26 PM
Its nothing to point out, Richard post is to clarify just in case if you're mystifyed with the issue.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy