NEED HELP on Installing a NEW named instance on existing Production box.

Last Post 27 Jul 2008 11:41 AM by wfrenz. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
wfrenz

--
24 Jul 2008 04:34 PM
Hi,

I am aware of the command line method of creating, rebuilding, etc. an Instance and or DB with SQL 2005. In fact before this box went into production, I had to rebuild the instances serveral times.

Now, the server has 2 named instances that are HIGHLY used/ available, and the DBS has been brought up to version 09.00.3042 (SP2). I am very weary of doing ANYTHING until I get some advice.

This server must be available 24/7, and both of the current instances on the server are EXTREMLY critical. My backups and plans are great, but I can not afford any downtime, as we simply have not got in our second box yet.

My issue is that the network admins now NEED a new NAMED INSTANCE on this box for SMS/ SCCM software. They claim that once I give them a named instance called SCCM in WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION ONLY, that their software will do the rest.

Today, I inserted the media DVD, as I have had to in the past (do the to extremly redundant configuration of this server), and I can not even get the wizzard to work as the media software is at a LOWER version than the current DB software running, and I am told that I must down grade the version if I want to use the media.....

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to issue a command line (DOS PROMPT) executable statement to create a new named instance (name is SCCM) with the options I want without creating a total disaster, and how to go about doing it. I have been through 2005 BOL, and searched for about 3 hours now different sites on how to simply create a named instance on this server without creating a DISASTER and I am not finding answers. If I would have been aware of this product 5 months ago, none of this would have been an issue, and I would not have the worries I have now!

Thanks for help in advance!

wfrenz

--
24 Jul 2008 05:34 PM
It has A LOT of HOURSE POWER! I just dropped in another 4gb of RAM the other night, thus bringing the screaming quad core @ 2.66GHZ with 8gb of RAM.

It is not clustered, nor does it replicate. FYI, I am an Oracle guy, who was hired because my organization is going to put the really BIG mission critical APP on a 4 node Oracle RAC environment. So, MSSQL has been my learning curve.... I am really iffy about things like my question because I have not had any formal MS SQL training, and my boss only knows MS SQL 2000, and there is a BIG difference between 2000 and 2005. While some things are just extremly easy with MS SQL, other things are not. I am used to working in a Unix/ Linux OS with Oracle 8i and above.... With MS SQL 2005, there are a lot of options, and then there are some features I would love to change. But it suits it's purpose for the OS it runs on.....

So, after my post, I found the executable on the media which will let me run it, and install a new instance, and define my options. BUT here is the layout.

There is a C drive, that holds the bulk of the MSSQL DBS. (C:\program files\MS SQL Server\90\etc... (DBS core software only).

There is an F drive which has my numbered directories F:\program files\MS SQL.n\Data\all of the DBF files and some LDF files which I could not separate (after a month of trial and error and numerous BOL pages read about why certain log files can not be separated).

There is an E drive which also has the E:\program files\MS SQL.n\Data\ all of the log files I could separate (Fyi this partition was my bosses idea, and while it sounds good in theory, it was a maint. nightmare, and can cause problems when rebuilding, adding, you name it).

So what should I be weary of at this point if I use the executable I found? Any other concerns?

I appreciate the help. And one other thing, I have and use Quest Spotlight on MS SQL Enterprise Edition for monitoring and performace analysis, etc. Since I put more RAM in, both of my instances that have dedicated memory allocated to them are runing great, and on the OS side, it is also going good.

Wes
TextText
wfrenz

--
25 Jul 2008 05:35 AM
Ok, so the OS is WIN 2003 R2, 32 bit. THankfully, this server is NOT on the huge new san we got. I say that because I layed down a nice 64 bit Linux RHEL 5, with OCFS and 10gR2, and all of a sudden, my Database was gone!!! The network guys said 'opps our bad'... I am glad that it was in the early stages, and nothing critical was in my half of day of work.....

So back to my SQL stand alone, quad core, 8gb server with 3 partitions. Yes, I know that it is not the biggest or best, especially compared to our new SAN that is just HUGE, but I have to use this box for the time being.

As far as the articles I read when I was setting up this server late last year, 2005 BOL was were I was getting my info. The default named data file installed (if you do not name it) is 'mssqlsystemresource.mdf'. According to BOL, it said I could move it, but everytime I followed the instructions to separate it, move the corresponding LDF to the other partition, then stop and restart the instance (or whatever the order of steps were) with the file locations being updated using BOL's procedure, the instance would not start. I would get a fatal error, and I would end up having to rebuild the DB.... So, for the Master, MSDB, MODEL I left those guys on the same partition with their MDF files.

Ok, so I know that I can use the SqlRun.msi on the setup media, and it appears that it will let me go ahead and do what I need to do, which is create a named instance called 'SCCM' for the network guys.

As long as I define where everything should go (everything seemed straight forward when going through it last night, but I hit 'cancel'...), and make sure that I do not select another installed instance, then this should work fine, correct? I just want to make sure that my HA instances will be fine. THat is basically my whole concern. If the install of the the new instance requires a reboot at the end, then I can do that at like 12am. In your EXPERT opinions, running the SqlRun.msi on the Windows SQL Server 2005 dvd media to create and install a new named instance should not interfere with the other instances (provided that I do not select any of those instances to over write...)?
wfrenz

--
25 Jul 2008 07:51 AM
Thanks Gunney!

THe SCCM instance has to (for the time being) be put on this box so the network guys can start their SMS repository. One of the instances on there is our current Datawarhouse, and that one is in Simple recovery mode, which is fine as it is only updated once daily and then a full backup every evening a 18:30. We got our huge SAN in which has like 14 WIndows Blade Servers, my 2 Linux servers, and my 2 HP UX servers. Everything on that SAN has been allocated towards other apps and projects. So this stand alone server was initially just going to be ONLY the Great Plains server.... Well with all of the other APPS and planning, the server was renamed like 3 times, and finally my boss figured for that side of the Enterprise, we were going to need 2 more servers. So, this stand alone that we are talking about ended up be named APPSDB1, and I am told we are going to get an APPSDB2, and APPSDB3. I do not know if they are going to be blade servers that will go into the SAN or if they will be stand alone..... I have NO OTHER PLACE TO PUT their SCCM repository at this point, and I am currently trying to figure out how long they can wait and when other servers will arrive. Believe me, I do not want to even put a new DB on that box, let alone another instance. Also, I am the DBA here, the only one, and unfortunatly I can only advice and give warnings, etc. If the people making decisions tell me it has to be now, and it has to be on this box, then all I can do is tell them what could happen. Right now their response it DO IT.

Basically, I just try to rool with the changes. My organization used to be really bad (from what I hear) before I was hired. The network guys just took apart half of the server room which used to be reffered to as the 'Ghetto Rack'.... That consisted of some servers that were basically high end workstations with an extra nic card in them! So basically when I came on board late last year I was told to be ready to see a really bad server room slowly but surely become a REAL server room, and that we are actually implementing a hot DR offsite, with servers there that are going to receive my SQL Server Transaction logs, and my RAC Node's Archive Logs. We have yet to establish SLA's, and all of that other good stuff. So, I just wanted you to know that basically if you saw our enterprise 6 months ago vs. right now your opinion would probably be that we are on the right track. A LOT OF MONEY was thrown into everything we are doing, and now things are being implemented, but very few things go as they were originally planned.

In any case, thanks for the advice, and if I can I will try to not have to install the instance on this box if I can get a confirmation that APPSDB2 will be here in less than 2 weeks, and I do not know if I even have that amount of time but I can always hope for the best while expecting the worst case!
wfrenz

--
27 Jul 2008 11:41 AM
OK I seriously am having problems creating this new instance.

WHEN TRYING TO USE FROM THE MEDIA THE SqlRun.msi I RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING ERROR WHICH BASICALLY TELLS ME TO USE THE Template.ini file for the UPGRADE option.

'A component that you have specified in the ADD_LOCAL property is already installed. To upgrade the existing component, refer to Template.ini and set the UPGRADE property to the name of the component'.

I just need to install a new NAMED instance called SCCM on a PRODUCTION server with 2 existing instances that are at 09.00.3042 (SP2), and I am having problems doing it. I got a 6 hour block of time today to do what I need to do.

The instance name needs to be SCCM, and only use Windows Authentication, and use the default character set. I am not sure if this can even be done now as the DBS on the server is at a higher version... Any further advice, thoughts, comments, HELP would be greatly appreciated !

wfrenz

--
27 Jul 2008 12:50 PM
Thanks again Gunney

I'll be sounding off if that doesn't work!

Wes
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy