Transactional Replication Snapshots

Last Post 10 Apr 2007 08:08 AM by PaulMcKibben. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PaulMcKibben

--
27 Feb 2007 07:11 AM
How often should the snapshot agent execute on SQL 2000 transactional replications?

I have databases that I am replicating on one server to another. The databases on the publisher are set to simple recovery mode. The subscriber databases are set to full recovery mode, and the subscriptions are set up as timed pull subscriptions that start after midnight.

The issue is that the first day that the subscriptions execute, I have two that run for most of the day. The rest of the days there is no issue. Currently the snapshot agents execute each night.

I believe that the snapshot agents should be disabled and only run when there is a schema change.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

PaulMcKibben

--
10 Apr 2007 07:48 AM
I have disabled the replication snapshot jobs, but I still have snapshot agents that execute. All REPL-Snapshot jobs show disabled in EM on the Publisher.

Where would I look to be certain that the snapshot jobs are truly disabled?

Thank you.
PaulMcKibben

--
10 Apr 2007 08:08 AM
And how would I do that?

I disabled the snapshots back in February, and I have several that occur weekly. I have looked in the replication monitor on the publisher and the agents are disabled. All of the REPL-Snapshot jobs are disabled and yet they executed Monday night or Tuesday morning.
PaulMcKibben

--
10 Apr 2007 08:26 AM
It is the Default agent profile
PaulMcKibben

--
10 Apr 2007 08:34 AM
Reinitialize subscriptions having data validation failures is enabled and the owner is an user id that has SA authority.

It has no schedule or viewable history.
PaulMcKibben

--
10 Apr 2007 09:23 AM
I will give the shortened history. I am executing transactional replications, originally I was performing the snapshots on the weekends. Then I realized that they didn't have to be run and disabled them in the Replication Monitor and the jobs listing.

I have adjusted the subscription schedules numerous times to make sure that the databases are available for the clients. What I have noticed is that Tuesday mornings we have subscriptions still running. This morning for example, there were 5 executing and now there are 2 still executing.

Should the Reinitialize subscriptions job be disabled?
PaulMcKibben

--
11 Apr 2007 10:00 AM
Olu,

They are pull subscriptions. The REPL-Distribution jobs on the subscriber are enabled. Tle Logreader jobs are enabled on the publisher, along with the History Cleanup, Distribution Cleanup, Checkup, Alert Response, and the Subscription Cleanup jobs.

The alert was disabled. I did enable it and verify that it will execute any jobs.

Regards,
Paul
PaulMcKibben

--
16 Apr 2007 12:09 PM
Olu,

None of the replication alerts are set up to execute any jobs.

None of the REPL-Snapshot category jobs are enabled.

I have queried the MSDB database, SYSJOBS table, on the subscriber, and I find all category 15 jobs disabled. (0).

Paul
PaulMcKibben

--
15 May 2007 07:11 AM
Thank you for your assistance.

I found a job that ran on the weekends that cleared a field in all records in large table that developers had put in place.

The job has been modified to only update the records it needs to, and the replications are performing within expectations.

Thank you again
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy