SQL Backups to Non-Local Drive?

Last Post 28 Nov 2007 08:47 AM by btacy. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dstoltz

--
27 Nov 2007 04:03 AM
is it possible for a maintenance plan to backup the database to a non-local drive?

If so, how? I can't seem to make mapped drives appear on the backup drive list...

Thanks
dstoltz

--
27 Nov 2007 04:09 AM
nevermind - I found the answer. Thanks!
btacy

--
28 Nov 2007 05:46 AM
pls dstoltz,
what's the answer?
cos i've been battling with the exact same problem all day.
dstoltz

--
28 Nov 2007 05:48 AM
Simply enter the UNC path into the backup location. You need to make sure the proper ACL rights are assigned on the share drive. But that's it!
btacy

--
28 Nov 2007 05:50 AM
ok,thanks. i'll give it a quick try
btacy

--
28 Nov 2007 08:47 AM
i gave it a try, but it's still failing. i pasted the same path in the run window and it opened up the folder on the remote system.
dstoltz

--
28 Nov 2007 08:56 AM
Are you using a maintenance package? Or are you doing this with code in the SQL jobs area?

Here's a line of code that works for me:

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint N'-PlanID D6830D2E-5D7A-42CA-B374-E2B63E73FC0F -VrfyBackup -BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB "\\servermain\SHHS-M2-TEST" -DelBkUps 2DAYS -BkExt "BAK"'

Obviously, the part you are concerned with is the :
"\\servermain\SHHS-M2-TEST"

This line of code was generated when I created a maintenance job, and pasted the above path into where the "disk backups" should get saved.

Make sure to view the error it gives you - if it's access denied, that's an ACL problem.

When you open the remote path in the RUN menu, that is using a different permission that when SQL tries to run the job....just to verify it's a permission problem, give EVERYONE full rights on the share - then run the job...if it works, at least you know it's a permission thing...
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy