snapshot settings for pushed subscriber

Last Post 29 Jul 2004 06:36 AM by richard101. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
richard101

--
29 Jul 2004 02:55 AM
Greetings All (sorry I havent been around for a while, was visiting the land of Oracle, which was very bleak :-))

Yesterday I did some (SQL2000) repair work on a snapshot replication (deleted and resetup), and its 3 pushed subscribers (NB: the 3 subscribers are used in a load ballanced public web-site).

I was confused about the schedules of the subscriptions, so i set them in three different ways !

(Given that the publication makes a new snapshot every hour) the subscriptions are set to ...
#1 is set to continuous
#2 is set to update every 10 mins
#3 is set to update every hour.

This morning they all seem to work ok, but I want to 'tune', to set most efficiently. I did notice #1 disapeared for a while (IE: the table on subscriber #1 that I query to verify replication-age was empty).

My confusion is - whats the point of pushing a subscription every 10 min's (#2), when the data is only updated every hour? (Every 10 mins was the original, old setting).

Secondly 'continuous' !! (#1) does that mean the last snapshot is continously pushed to the subscriber? (pointless again, if the snapshot is only refreshed every hour) or (since the job schedule confusingly says 'start when sql starts') does this mean run as controlled by the distributer (thats published/distributer - BTW), when theres new data hopefully?

Sorry for lack of word skills (above), brain overloaded with massive amounts of oracle documentation ;-).

thanks

Richard101
xfonhe

--
29 Jul 2004 06:26 AM
IIRC the only time the articles will be pushed to subscribers is when a change occurs (DML or DDL). The 'continuous' and '10-minute' options refer to data polling on the distributor.

Why are you using snapshot replication rather than transactional or merge? Just curious
richard101

--
29 Jul 2004 06:36 AM
thanks for that

so I should set subscribers to 10 mins (after dropping and recreating)?

the architecture isn't mine :-( but FWI theres trans pulling from aa to bb and cc (cc being dist/sub).
Then (partial (not-all-articles)) snapshot pushing from cc to dd, ee, and ff.

thanks

Richard101
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy