Linked Server from 64-bit to 32-bit SQL server

Last Post 20 Oct 2005 12:45 PM by bhodgman. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bigelectricmac

--
15 Jul 2005 12:11 PM
I am working to migrate a DB and processed from 32 bit SQL Server to 64 bit SQL Server and have come across the error:

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Unspecified error]
[OLE/DB provider returned message: The stored procedure required to complete this operation could not be found on the server (they were supplied with the ODBC setup disk for the SQL Server driver). Please contact your system administrator.]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IDBSchemaRowset::GetRowset returned 0x80004005: ].

The error occurs when running a simple select query while connected to the 64-bit SQL Server that uses a linked server to a 32 bit server. (e.g. select top 5 * from SQL32.DB.dbo.Table).
The query works fine when running it on a 32-bit SQL server with the same link.

The servers use SQL 2000 SP3a

Has anybody had problems using linked server between 64-bit and 32 bit environments?
bigelectricmac

--
18 Jul 2005 11:51 AM
Thanks. Openquery works:
select * from openquery(Datasource[Linked Server Name],'SELECT column_list
FROM Database..Table
where ...')
alcook

--
22 Jul 2005 12:43 PM
Thank you so much "devon130". I have been looking for an answer or some time now.

The "select * from openquery..." works perfectly.

Everybody thought they had an answer, but none of the answers given worked...until now.

Thanks again,
Al Cook
bhodgman

--
20 Oct 2005 12:45 PM
Another solution can be found in the MS support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...-us;906954

This article refers to SQL 2005 64-bit instances but I had the same problem with a SQL 2000 IA64 installation and this was the solution.

Haywood

--
20 Oct 2005 01:02 PM
One assumes that this won't be an issue in two weeks (when Yukon goes RTM)?

Also, in the Resolution section there appears to be some clarification required. I assume that they mean to apply the x64 Instcat.sql on the x32 instance after applying SP3a or SP4. What good would it do to re-apply the x32 Instcat.sql....
sanjayattray

--
11 Jun 2007 06:38 AM
I had a job which was running successfully from ages, but from last Friday I was getting same error:

Executed as user: W_NR\SQLAdmin. OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7399) [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312) [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312) OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IDBSchemaRowset::GetRowset returned 0x80004005: ]. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7300). The step failed.

There's no change in configuration or no patches or fixes applied for months on these server. Both servers (query had a linked server reference) run on SQL server 2000 sp4 on 32 bit.

Had anyone got any idea, what would be the issue? I cannot provide more info as I could not find anything more in Error logs, application event log or job log. Its all same in three places.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy