The SQL server is not known to be running. Are you sure you wish to connect?

Last Post 18 Jun 2007 05:33 AM by Lee-Z2. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
adelgado

--
05 Jun 2007 07:43 AM
We have several remote sql 2000 servers running that we work with on a daily basis. Most are installed on Windows 2000 servers running the latest service packs and updates. 4 run on Windows 2003 Server 64 bit running the latest service packs and updates. On these four 2003 servers we have the following issue:

Using Enterprise Manager as I view our SQL Groups a 'green' arrow appears next to each SQL server that runs on a Windows 2000 server. The SQL Servers running on Windows 2003 Server are 'white'. When I click on one of these instances running on Windows 2003 I get the following error:

The SQL server <server name> is not known to be running. Are you sure you wish to connect?

When I select 'Yes' I am able to connect to the instance.

Is there a reason that this happens on Windows 2003 server? Is some security feature blocking this? If so, Is there something I can open up this feature so I can easily tell that each server is running? Polling to the server is identical on all servers at 10 second intervals.

Thank You for your help!
adelgado

--
06 Jun 2007 10:54 AM
Thanks for your reply! Yes they are on the same subnet.
Lee-Z2

--
18 Jun 2007 05:33 AM
It's not a specific Win2003 thing....I have the same issue with a lot of customer-servers (I usually don't logon to their domain, so maybe that's got something to do with it)...
but to be honest: because it doesn't affect "normal" sql connections and only occurs in EM, I never bothered finding a solution
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy