Can anyone help with an MDX formula?

Last Post 18 Aug 2005 05:43 AM by Rhinodba. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Rhinodba

--
09 Aug 2005 05:28 AM
I am tracking disk space usage for my company. Basically, I capture space used and free space with a little custom WMI tool, of all of our servers by device, and drive into a SQL Server database. I created a small OLAP DB and Cube with dimensions of time and disk space. I have an excel pivot chart that connects to the cube and displays the items we want to see and a calculated member displaying % free. and growth rate from previous period.

1) I would like to know if any one can help me in how to take the raw data that I have and be able to use analysis services to "estimate" our disk growth in say 30, 60, 90 days etc. in the future so that we know when we need to increase space before it becomes a problem.

2) Would I use the MDX builder to do this? I think I need a "Calculated Member" ?

3) I am using this formula, but it is not giving me the desired result. It is "How much we have grown" in GB's. ([size in bites] - ([Time].CurrentMember.PrevMember, [Measures].[Size in bites])) / 1073741824

4) I'd like to know if any of you can help me change this formula to estimate, "How much we will grow" based on that collected data.

Our data grows at more than 1.5 TB's per month, and as you can imagine it is difficult to manage resources with this growth rate.

Thank you,

RhinoDBA
anmont

--
17 Aug 2005 11:09 PM
Rhino,

You are trying to accomplish a task with the wrong tool. To predict the future usage you want to create a mining rule for your data. Are you using SQL 2000 or 2005? Try this link to get you started http://www.aspnetpro.com/newsletter...10ri_l.asp

Anmont
Rhinodba

--
18 Aug 2005 05:43 AM
Thank you for replying to my Post. This forum is much 'quieter' than many of the others here.

I am using SQL 2000 for this metric, but I do have the latest CTP for 2005 up and running on its own dedicated server.

I will follow your link as a starting point.

Thanks,

Kevin Warren
Charlotte, NC
anmont

--
18 Aug 2005 05:03 PM
Yes this forum seems to be very quiet.

If you plan to use this prediction model in your company, I strongly suggest that you use the 2005 CTP! AS2000 does provide this functionality, but just barely. If you want to be able to apply the same forward thinking matrics to other tasks, the 7 mining models provided by AS2005 will more than make it worth your time. It will even verify the data that you have against the different mining models that it uses and give you a propability comparison telling you what mining technique will be most effective. By far, the CTP provides the best mining methodology in the industry.

Once you are done with the link I gave you, this is a good resource; http://www.sqlserverdatamining.com/DMCommunity/
Also always goto TechNet.

Justin Campbell
Taipei Taiwan
Rhinodba

--
25 Aug 2005 03:06 AM
Thank you et al.

Using the right tool is key, and it looks like I need to get up to speed with 2005. I am attending the SQL 2005 Roadshow in Atlanta next week and I will address this with them.

Thanks,

Kevin
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy