New SSIS server

Last Post 18 Jul 2008 11:17 AM by trans53. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
trans53

--
16 Jun 2008 10:59 AM
Hi all,

While working on the new SSIS server to find the better place where we can centrilize all of our SSIS packages
i have a couple of questions.

Unfortunatelly we can not have dedicated SSIS server because of the budget but i was offered to store SSIS packages eather on the active/passive clustered server where our distirbutor database located(only Distributor located on this server) or to have separate Virtual server.

The problem is that i don't know how effecient is to have Virtual server in production environment
and i would like to get your opinion on this.

I know that is hard to tell without knowing the actual configuration but still.

Also, High Availability is very important for SSIS.
All our servers will be in active/passive configuration
How do you implement High Availability for SSIS?

So far i found this article which giveme some ideas.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942176

Thanks
trans53

--
16 Jun 2008 04:31 PM
Thank you,

it sounds like the Virtual is the good candidate.
The platform will be 3650 (Dual socket quad core) system with 24GB of ram.

How about Virtual with 4 cpu and 8 gb of ram for SSIS on 64-bit? it will be sufficient?
We only have about 20 SSIS packages for now which are not very heavy.

Regarding making SSIS as cluster resource it is supportable by MS if something goes wrong?
trans53

--
17 Jun 2008 09:23 AM
Both nodes seems to be a better solution but now i am thinking if i will have a Virtual server how can i implement High Availability?
jsgambel

--
15 Jul 2008 11:45 AM
Has anyone implemented SSIS on a virtual server? If so, how is it working for you? Any latency or anything to watch out for? Also, please include your specs (cpu / ram).

TIA,

Joe
trans53

--
18 Jul 2008 10:35 AM
One more question please:

If i have separate VM SSIS server and then i have Default DB maintenance plans such as Full and log db backups, Integrity checks and so on, should i run them from separate VM SSIS server pointing to execute on each server or should i also install Integration services on each server and Maintenance plan jobs directly on the server? What will be the best performance wise?

"Only issue I've run into so far with MSSQL on VM is that sometimes VM wants to reorganize disk layout. This has to be turned off as it will crash SQL Server. That said, I only virtualize app servers, dev servers and one "sandbox" server. Not OLTP systems"

Russell, can you also tell me please what exactly has to be turned off as it will crash SQL Server?
trans53

--
18 Jul 2008 11:17 AM
So i guess the maintenace jobs i have where created before sp2 and saved as ssis pckages.This means i need to recreate them as non-ssis?
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy