Where In The Restore Progress Am I?

Last Post 30 May 2008 07:46 AM by sunliners81. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sunliners81

--
29 May 2008 12:46 PM
Hello, we started a restore of a database that is just over 1.2 TB. It took 23 hours to complete the Copy Data Phase. Now, SQL Server continues to show the database in a Restoring state, however, there is no other indication of what SQL Server is doing. We do not have any way to see in which phase of the restore process SQL Server is in or how much time may be remaining. We do know that SQL Server is doing something because of the I/O activity. Its there a command, script, or other tool that we can use to determine where in the Restore process we are and how much time may be remaining?

Thanks, Clay
sunliners81

--
30 May 2008 07:46 AM
We did not use the WITH STATS = switch so that is out, and the sys.dm_exec_requests shows Percent_Complete is 100, however, we know that the Server is still churning and in the Enterprise Manager, the database has gone from "Restoring" to "In Recovery". Our network admin has the Backup and Restore job at our company and when I came on, I was not included in that roll. I had ask if he could simply move the data and log file over for me and he advised that the EMC solution they are using requires restore via the SQL Agent. I see now that I should become more involved in Disaster Recovery Planning. This restore started on 5/28 at 8:30 am and its now 5/30 at 10:30 am with the database showing that its state is "In Recovery" and with no way of determining an ETA for it coming online. That is the thing that has me disgruntle. Why is there not some way of see exactly what is taking place inside SQL Server?

Clay
SQLUSA

--
08 Jun 2008 06:35 PM
quote:

Originally posted by: sunliners81
Hello, we started a restore of a database that is just over 1.2 TB. It took 23 hours to complete the Copy Data Phase. Now, SQL Server continues to show the database in a Restoring state,

Clay,

What was the outcome?

Thanks,

Kalman Toth, SQL Server Training

ufohj

--
02 Jul 2008 07:34 AM
quote:

Originally posted by: russellb
by the way, I would argue that backup/restore is the #1 skill required by a DBA or whoever is responsible for your databases.

also, this is best done from your query editor, not the gui, as you get far better control over the process.

-- Russell --
------------------------------------------
SQL Server Magazine Forum Pro

I'd like to schedule a SQL job on local server and run it instead.
SQLUSA

--
03 Jul 2008 02:28 AM
I agree with Russell on this.

A DBA has to know backup/restore inside out, scripted versions and GUI versions as well.

Backup/restore is not as glamorous as an executive requesting an important ad-hoc report from you, but certainly expected that you can recover quickly in case of a data emergency.

Kalman Toth - Database, Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Architect
SQL Server 2005 Training, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS: http://www.sqlusa.com/

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy