svr03 and sql08 memory

Last Post 23 Sep 2009 11:35 AM by brianmultilanguage. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
brianmultilanguage

--
21 Sep 2009 11:41 AM
I have allocated a server2003, with 3gb RAM, and SQL 2008, not my choice, and SQL continues to take RAM until SQL and/or the server has to be restarted. Isn't SQL supposed to manage it's RAM and not kill the server? I rebooted the server at 1.6gb for SQL in use.
I got the generic 4gb for sql and 4gb for reporting which seems very generic and inefficient.

It's a low use server for reporting and the db is not dynamically changing, it's sync'd once a day.
brianmultilanguage

--
21 Sep 2009 03:42 PM
The generic MS memory answer. Keep adding memory til the problem goes away or you hit 8gb.
SQL is allocating itself from the system RAM of 3gb and the pagefile is 4gb.
1 instance.
Server2003x32 and SQL 2008 std.
No other apps.

brianmultilanguage

--
21 Sep 2009 03:42 PM
32x
brianmultilanguage

--
22 Sep 2009 08:05 AM
3gb RAM.
Sql can only use upto 2gb memory if you didn't put /3gb nor /pae in boot.ini file.

the boot file is unmodified. No switches.
brianmultilanguage

--
22 Sep 2009 09:45 AM
Since we are speaking of backups - This is just making met nuts. Does the SQL backup use what name/password to create a backup? I have created a dir on a NAS, which I can browse to from the server BUT SQL WILL NOT BACKUP TO IT~! and the error is logon failure.
How can the server browse to it but SQL, same server, get a logon failure? I tried a map, UNC,
Why is it such a pain to backup SQL to anything but a local drive? Still. many versions later and it's still a pain in the ???
brianmultilanguage

--
23 Sep 2009 09:38 AM
Those are good replies.
The memory stuff was from a MS Gold Partner doing the work and I was just repeating.
I wasn't seeking a blame but fixes.

I'll check the services for those accounts and verify the UNC permissions.

Obviously you've never had a bad situation and needed advise.
Can you recommend a good read from a non-dba?
brianmultilanguage

--
23 Sep 2009 11:35 AM
Thanks again.
I have thought of online help from MS as really not that helpful but what the hey.

Mock or blame? No. Just fixing.
Usually " that's is the most stupid..............." can be followed up with lack of knowledge unless it's a true consensus.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy