Need to transfer CC info securely from one SQL db to another

Last Post 10 Jun 2009 02:10 PM by dale123. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jeff Armstrong

--
10 Jun 2009 08:32 AM
Hello,

I have the task of sending credit card info from one sql db to another. I was told that this needs to be secure. I will basically send the 60,000 or so cc numbers from one table in a db, to another table in a db which will be on the same network, but physically thousands of km's apart.

I was thinking of inserting it into it's own db on the source, backup the db and encrypt the backup, then restore it at the destination. Second option is to insert it into a table with encryption, then read/write it to the destination using the encryption code. However, our developers do not want to make any code changes to do this.

I already have some less sensitive data being sent to and from these same servers via linked servers, so that is also an option, but the customer insists that this be encrypted.

Any thoughts, ideas? This data will be transferred only once a week.

Thanks!
dale123

--
10 Jun 2009 02:10 PM
I'd go with backing up to a secure location and a restore myself too.
SQLUSA

--
11 Jun 2009 01:00 AM
Is the credit card column in the table encrypted? ( Credit card companies require that you keep them encrypted).

If they are encrypted, you can just send it as regular data, for example, using an SSIS package.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server 2008 Training
http://www.sqlusa.com/orderbi2008/
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy