backups

Last Post 19 Mar 2008 10:33 PM by SQLUSA. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
river1

--
19 Mar 2008 07:47 PM
hi-

I have been study SQL Server 2005 backups.
I noticed some diferences in behavior when compared with SQL Server 2000.

1) If i don't whan't to make a tail of the log backup trought the management studio, i can make it in transact SQL, is this command the correct one to make the tail of the log?

backup log DatabaseName to disk ='Path\BackupName.trn' with no_truncate

2) When i create a new database, and then back it up , when i restore the first time this backup, it is possible without SQL Server 2005 asking me to make first a tail of the log backup.
When i trie to restore the second time, this backup, it always ask me to make a tail of the log first and only then let me restore the backup.
This heapens even if i did not make any changes to the database.
I don't understand why.
In SQL Server 2000 this was not necessary.
Can someone explain me why?
(i know that tail of the log backup captures the active portion of the log) what i don´t understand is why Microsft in SQL Server 2005, force us to use it.
It is possible to not have to do this?

3) when i trie to restore normal backup of logs (backup log databasename to disk ='path\backupname.trn') i always have to restore them in the correct order.
SQL Server does not let me restore normal log backups, if they are not restored in the order they where made.
But , in Tail of the log, this is not the same.
SQL Server 2005 , let me restore only the last tail of the lot , even if i made one befour this one that i'm restoring.
Can someone explain why?

4)by default when i make a backup trought the wizard(management studio), it always start's in the SQL Server directory, in the directory backup.
Can i change the default path of SQL Server to wich SQL Server goes when i select device?

5) Is there any advantage of making file backups instead of backups to a device backup?

Thank you,

Pedro

SQLUSA

--
19 Mar 2008 10:33 PM
If you use a DEVICE in the backup statement, you don't have to change your backup script when you change the physical location.

Kalman Toth - Database, Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Architect
BI Workshop NYC SSAS, SSIS, SSRS - April 21-24: http://www.sqlusa.com/
river1

--
24 Mar 2008 02:09 AM
Hi-

Thank you very mutch to all for reply.

Russellb - the point number five , was replied by pro pete.
I was asking about, what is better to use , the backup to normal file or the backup to a backup device.
I like to use backup to file.
Let me just make one more question to you Masters:

Where in the registry can i change the default directoty of SQL Server?

Tks,

Pedro

river1

--
25 Mar 2008 12:39 AM
Tks RM.

I have changed the default directory with your answer with sucess.

Pedro
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy