database security solutions-i need your input

Last Post 16 Apr 2008 05:52 AM by Caroline from editorial. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Caroline from editorial

--
06 Mar 2008 09:36 AM
Hello all. I'm an editor at SQL Server mag and Windows IT Pro researching a buyer's guide for the magazine. The topic is database security products. What would you like to see covered as far as issues, advice, and products?
Feel free to email me at cmarwitz at symbol penton dot com or respond here. Thank you! Caroline
malecky

--
21 Mar 2008 02:54 PM
I think there are several products that merit being fully reviewed. Ultimately I would like to see reviews of the most popular vulnerability scanners for the popular database products (appsecinc, ngssquirrel, etc.) and their competitive price ranges as well as DB extrusion prevention systems such as Imperva, AppSecInc, Guardium, etc.

I'm not sure what other products could be covered (such as DB Encryption, Secure Backup, etc.)
SQLUSA

--
21 Mar 2008 04:44 PM
It is going to be a new ball game with SQL Server 2008.

It has database backup encryption with compression.

That may put several vendors out of business.

Kalman Toth - Database, Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Architect
BI Workshop NYC SSAS, SSIS, SSRS - April 21-24: http://www.sqlusa.com/
malecky

--
21 Mar 2008 04:49 PM
It certainly depends on the level of encryption provided and it's stability. While I haven't looked at the details, if it's anything like the past "with encryption" options for stored procedures, it could easily leave space for additional third party products heh...

Hopefully that will not be the case as I certainly would appreciate native backup encryption capabilities as it solves quite a few business requirements I have currently.
Caroline from editorial

--
16 Apr 2008 05:52 AM
Thanks for your help! As I told Malecky, my advisory team decided on database encryption products. I see about five or six maximum out there. Any favorites?
Caroline
P.S. I too am thinking that SQL 2008 might put some out of business.....
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy