Best db/trans log backup strategies including net backups

Last Post 13 Dec 2007 03:17 PM by sqlserverdeveloper. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sqlserverdeveloper

--
13 Dec 2007 12:20 PM
Tape backup's:
Every night between 10PM and 10AM, the netbackup jobs are running, it's doing the following:
1. Copying the sql backup files to tapes
2. Also taking full db backup's to tapes.
Does tape backup's need to do both above 1 & 2 or just copying the backup files is fine?
During the above timings none of the sql backup jobs are running as we do'nt want to interfere with the netbackup's. And today one of the critical table update got messed up and in order to recover from the backup's we had problems as we are not backing up ferquently. And also we have couple of critical databases one of which runs 24x7. So how can we schedule sql backup's and net backup's. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

SQLUSA

--
13 Dec 2007 12:38 PM
>1. Copying the sql backup files to tapes
>2. Also taking full db backup's to tapes.
>Does tape backup's need to do both above 1 & 2 or just copying the backup files is fine?

Clarify pls. #1.... you did backup to disk first? That is copied to tape - This is NORMAL

If 1 is Full backup to disk, you don't need 2

Vice versa.

Kalman Toth, MCDBA, MCITP
SQL Server Training - http://www.sqlusa.com/order2005/

sqlserverdeveloper

--
13 Dec 2007 03:17 PM
quote:

Originally posted by: SQLUSA
>1. Copying the sql backup files to tapes
>2. Also taking full db backup's to tapes.
>Does tape backup's need to do both above 1 & 2 or just copying the backup files is fine?

Clarify pls. #1.... you did backup to disk first? That is copied to tape - This is NORMAL

If 1 is Full backup to disk, you don't need 2

Vice versa.

Kalman Toth, MCDBA, MCITP
SQL Server Training - http://www.sqlusa.com/order2005/

>1. Copying the sql backup files to tapes: I mean veritas net backup copies the sql backup files and puts them into the tapes.
I scheduled the db backup using database maintenance wizard, I think it's the full db backup. Sorry if this is a silly question: How do I know if the backup is a full db backup? Thanks!!

sqlserverdeveloper

--
14 Dec 2007 12:27 PM
We have decided to do the following:
1. Backup the databases and transaction logs to a safe remote server
2. Full DB backup's will be done once every night and tran log backup's will be done every 15 minutes.
3. These sql backup files will be copied and put into tapes.
We are thinking of using a tool for backup's compression and to increase performance, I was thinking of Redgate, coould you please suggest the best tool for that.
To avoid the backup files size getting big, can we truncate them, if so do we truncate the db backup or the transaction log backup's? Any ideas. Thanks.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy