SQL7 to SQL2000 Replication upgrade issue

Last Post 04 Aug 2004 05:32 AM by xfonhe. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
xfonhe

--
03 Aug 2004 11:42 AM
Scenario: 3 servers - one Subscriber, one Distributor, one Publisher. Transactional replication; immediate updating subscribers disallowed.

Subscriber & Publisher = SQL 7.0
Distributor recently upgraded to 2000, SP3a.

Issue: new publications created at publisher fail to initialize snapshot agent properly. Error: "Another snapshot agent for the publication is running". Agent then fails after total retries (default is 10... does not matter what I set it to).

All existing publications work fine; all existing subscriptions work fine.

So what's the deal?
It appears that once you upgrade the Distributor(s), you have to upgrade the Publisher(s) immediately thereafter if you wish to create new publications. I have not seen that documented however.... anyone know?

Thanks!

X
xfonhe

--
04 Aug 2004 05:32 AM
Additional info: each article is part of a separate publication; meaning each also has its own agent. The publications obviously have unique names.... I have not seen conflicting objects in sysprocesses.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
ufohj

--
19 Oct 2004 10:18 AM
If Distributor is SQL 2000, then Subscriber should be SQL 2000.
Publisher doesn't need to be SQL 2000, SQL 7 is OK.
I have this setup last 3 years.

"Issue: new publications created at publisher fail to initialize snapshot agent properly. Error: "Another snapshot agent for the publication is running". Agent then fails after total retries (default is 10... does not matter what I set it to)."

It seems you have two agent works for one publication at same time.

Clean-up all replication setup from Subscriber--> Distributor-->Publisher and then recreate.
Or
You'd better to check each agent one by one.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy