Config help

Last Post 03 Mar 2005 07:36 AM by timmcowan. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Janetb99

--
23 Feb 2005 03:59 AM
Newbie alert. Need some configuration help please. Have web server with 3
websites on box above with same ip using host headers (well-established sites
working fine). Installed reporting services, went to one website and created
virtual directories with IIS to same folder/name as items under Default Web
Site. Authentication is set to IUSR_svrname, Integrated Windows on website
and virtual directories.

Created a basic report & deployed to http://serverName/reportServer. ; I can
view report by url similar
to:http://serverName/Reportserver?%2fF...and=Render ; Data connection and report retrieval is fine.

But, I need folks to be able to enter the www.domainname.com type of url and
that gives me a HTTP Error 403.8 - Forbidden: DNS name of the client is
rejected. As soon as I remove the report services part of the url, site
pops up fine. And, if possible, I'd like to be able to use more than one of
my domains, just referencing the virtual directory in IIS for each site.

Also, I cannot get to the http://serverName/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx to set
roles and permissions because it only sees me as IUSR and I can't "see"
anything under that role. Even though I'm a domain administrator, believe
it's seeing me as IUSR.

Also tried adding <ReportServerExternalUrl>www.domainName.com/reportServer</ReportServerExternalUrl> in the rswebapplication.config file

Tried a few things but may be making it worse. Thanks for any advice-would
really like to be able to use this tool, but can't at this point.
Janetb99

--
24 Feb 2005 08:24 AM
Update - think I'm really close, but still need help. Uninstalled, reinstalled RS. Deployed sample. Added <ReportServerExternalURL> http://www.domainname.org/Reports </ReportServerExternalURL> to rswebapplication.config Deployed.

Created new role for IUSR_MachineName and gave it browse capabilities on home folder.
Added virtual directory is IIS under web site above for Reports, with documents of home.aspx and enable IUSR in IIS for directory. (Deployment is still okay.) If I view Reports via machinename, site settings are there. Browse to folder, click on report, the folder pops up again. Report will not generate. If I view via www, site settings are not there (good, good). Report does the same thing - popping up another folder view but not generating.

Added virtual directory is IIS under web site above for ReportServer, with document sof default.htm, default.asp, index.htm, iisstart.htm, default.aspx. Same thing happens again.

Think I'm very close. Anybody?
timmcowan

--
03 Mar 2005 01:46 AM
Hi Janet

I've had a similar problem myself and I've been monitoring your thread with interest. I've just managed to crack it this morning and it's a bit obscure, but quite obvious when you think about it.

I had a problem whereby all users on the intranet could see the reports, but when users on the internet tried, they got 403.8 - Forbidden, just like you. Effectively, our intranet and extranet were two separate websites in IIS. When I installed RS onto the box, it installed the ReportsManager and ReportServer virtual Directories onto the default website (our intranet), so, in order to try and provide Extranet (internet) access I just set up 2 virtual directories in the same way on our Extranet website and I got the same problems you encountered.

In the end I got the 2 properties screens for the ReportServer web applications and went through them Tab by Tab until I found a difference. In my case it turned out to be the application mappings that were the problem. All I had to do was set * extensions (All verbs) to be sent to the aspnet_isapi.dll and that fixed it. Hope this helps someone, it certainly put a smile on my face not to have to call Product Support!
Janetb99

--
03 Mar 2005 04:37 AM
A reply! Thank you, thank you.

I tried what you had suggested and it made no difference to the problem I'm having. For an example, go to: http://www.mtn.ncahec.org/Reports/

It never parses the actual report - just keeps giving me folders nested down the page. Goofy. Think of anything?

Janet

timmcowan

--
03 Mar 2005 05:30 AM
So, what happens when you get down to the rdl files and click on them?
Janetb99

--
03 Mar 2005 06:44 AM
It never parses the actual report - just keeps giving me folders nested down the page.
timmcowan

--
03 Mar 2005 07:36 AM
It sounds like you've got your /Reports virtual directory mapped to the physical directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportServer" (default installation) when it actually needs to be mapped to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager"

You should have 2 virtual directories, one called /reports that maps to ReportManager and one called /reportserver that maps to ReportServer, and the ReportServerExternalURL should be www.domainName.com/reportServer as you said in your first post, not http://www.domainname.org/Reports as you said in your second post.

On our setup, I don't use <ReportServerExternalURL></ReportServerExternalURL>, I use <ReportServerVirtualDirectory>/ReportServer</ReportServerVirtualDirectory> instead. Here is the whole <UI></UI> section of my rswebapplication.config file:

<UI>
<ReportServerVirtualDirectory>/ReportServer</ReportServerVirtualDirectory>
</UI>

Try this and see how you get on.
Janetb99

--
04 Mar 2005 06:28 AM
Tim,

You 'da man! Thanks so much. I tinkered around a bit more and finally have it working properly. The paths within the virtual were fine, but once I switched hte UI to the virtual directory setting, everything rendered. Why does the documentation explicitly say? (No need to really reply - I'm venting.)

"To access a report server on the Internet, you must add a ReportServerExternalURL configuration setting that specifies the fully qualified domain name of the report server. The external client uses this value to access a report server. In this scenario, the browser that is hosting Report Manager must send a fully qualified domain name when making requests on behalf of Report Manager to the report server. The following example illustrates the syntax for ReportServerExternalURL: <ReportServerExternalURL> reports.adventure-works.com </ReportServerExternalURL>"

I've been tinkering off and on trying to get this to work for more months than I care to mention. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to reply. If you're ever in the mountains of Asheville, NC the brewskies/java/scotch are on me.

Thanks!
Janet
timmcowan

--
04 Mar 2005 06:51 AM
No probs Janet, glad to be of assistance!

As far as I'm concerned, vent away! I love RS, I think it's a great product but the community just isn't there yet, and nor is the documentation. Bit dissappointing really, but there we go.

If you're ever in the West Sussex Downs, look me up and I'll let you buy me a pint of Sussex Best!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy