Love SSIS but have one peeve

Last Post 23 Jan 2007 03:21 PM by SQLUSA. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dianagele

--
18 Jan 2007 07:13 PM
Refreshing the column definitions in a project is a bit frustrating.
I have a project that pulls data from a night crew that does data entry, scans them through a series of cleans and lookups....

At times I have to save, close and reopen the projects for Visual Studio to understand column definitions.

Time saved overrides this peeve, but wins the "worth mentioning".
SQLUSA

--
23 Jan 2007 03:21 PM
Can you describe your package in detail?

Sounds interesting.

What is the exact issue? What platform are you on.

Kalman Toth
SQLUSA: http://www.sqlusa.com
dianagele

--
13 Feb 2007 09:29 PM
My platform is SQL Server 2005 with Server 03.
The SSIS package does a direct lookup, then on fail of the lookup, I do a Fuzzy Lookup.
It splits it up even further to a confidence and simlarity of .8.
the night crew runs procedures from their research in a 'sloppy' table; the SSIS package/Job does the rest.
Then we have an influx of new 'similar' information that our team can go through.

I chunked-out the actual package I was whining about into smaller, more manageable packages.
From old packages to creating new packages, if there is any text file, it gets excruciatingly difficult to get transformations down-pat.
So, it is only logic to ignore the problem work around flat files!

Yes, after transoformations are set up, it typically is easy going, but it is constant steps of refreshing each task, all the way down to the end of that task if you do ONE column modification.

Love it, can't live without it, but one has to babysit each tedious modification.
SQLUSA

--
22 Feb 2007 05:02 PM
Diana,

Have you thought of saving it in file format (XML), editing it and loading it back?

Kalman Toth
SQLUSA: http://www.sqlusa.com
dianagele

--
19 Apr 2007 02:04 AM
Kalman,
Thank you for the suggesiton. I am still learning about XML files traversing about. If you know of many resources (starter samples, etc). let me konw; our office has a learning curve we were supposed to learn, but server upgrades overruled such matters.
Thanks in advance.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy