Msg 7314

Last Post 19 Feb 2009 08:45 AM by LizSmith. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
LizSmith

--
18 Feb 2009 05:41 PM
I have created a linked server in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to an Excel datasource. When I try to access the data via simple select (ie select * from EXCELONENGSVCDB...AllData), I get the following error message:

Msg 7314, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "EXCELONENGSVCDB" does not contain the table "AllData". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.

I selected all cells in the spreadsheet and labeled it AllData but this does not seem to work. The same type of link from a SQLEXPRESS server works fine.

I do not have an Excel app on the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 machine as I do on the machine that houses the SQLEXPRESS server. Is it necessary to have the Excel app or just the Excel file?

The OS is Windows Server 2003. The SQL server version is 9.0.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
LizSmith

--
19 Feb 2009 08:45 AM
The file is located at c:\TAMI\data\CR2009.xls

Security for the linked server: The linked server is configured to take the existing credentials / security context , which are NT domain credentials.

LizSmith

--
19 Feb 2009 10:29 AM
I believe that the file is on SQL server's C drive. The SQL server executable lives on c:\Program Files\...... so both the SQL server and the Excel file are on the same c drive on the same machine. Is this correct?

Yikes, Just noticed that the file extension was duplicated in error so after correcting the file extension, the linked server works just fine.

Thanks for confirming that what I had was good!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy