Will SQL Jobs Lap?

Last Post 30 Jul 2008 11:16 AM by pjmcbride. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
pjmcbride

--
30 Jul 2008 08:03 AM
I have a SQL job; it runs every minute, importing data from a text file into my database. Occasionally the text file is not there, which means that the job fails at step one (where it opens the file and imports the data).

If the job fails at step one, I would like to wait one minute and retry step one again (just once).

If the job is scheduled to run once per minute, and I re-run the step one time if it fails, will the job still re-run? Will it run immediately after execution of the first instance of the job that is running, or will it shkip its execution?

For example, the job runs at the following times:

10:01
10:02
10:03
10:04

If the job fails at 10:02, waits a minute, then retrys step 1, what happens to the 10:03 instance?

Thanks,
Paul
pjmcbride

--
30 Jul 2008 11:16 AM
quote:

Originally posted by: gunneykHow exactly do you plan to wait 1 minute and rerun the 1st step ?

In the Job Step Properties dialogue, and the Advanced page, there are two listboxes: Retry attempts:, and Retry Interval (Minutes):. I assumed that this meant that if the step failed, wait x minutes and try again.

So to clarify, in my scenario, above, If the 10:02 job fails at step one, waits 1 minute, retries step one, succeeds and completes @ 10:03:01, then the 10:03 iteration of the job will never execute. Is this correct?

Thanks, for all of your help,
Paul

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy