Shrink file Empty file Error

Last Post 27 Oct 2009 07:40 AM by kallandor. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kallandor

--
06 Nov 2007 06:11 AM
I am having trouble shrinking some data files in my database. I have created several data file to increase performance but I created one too many. My goal is to remove any one of the data file by performing a shrink file with the empty file option. Now this is where it gets strange. Any shrink file command that I perform does nothing. The files do not free up unused space or shrink to a specified size. When I run a shrink file on any of the data files (average 50% unused space) it says that it completes successfully but nothing actually happens. When I use the empty file option I get the following error “Cannot move all contents of file “MyDB_Data5” to other places to complete emptyfile operation”. Before you start throwing out ideas let me tell you that I have tried rebooting, performing said tasks in single user mode, even a full restore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kallandor

--
06 Nov 2007 10:19 AM
The files are in the same file group. This is on SQL Server 2005 Standard edition (64 bit) with SP2 (9.00.3042.00, SP2, Standard Edition (64-bit)). I did try to use the alter database statement to remove the file, but the file is not empty because the empty file option errors out.

In addition, I have performed the exact same action on other databases on the same server without a problem.
kallandor

--
09 Nov 2007 05:14 AM
Anyone…? Anyone…?
kallandor

--
09 Nov 2007 08:04 AM
yep
kallandor

--
27 Oct 2009 07:40 AM
2 years later I have a solution. Thanks everyone for all the responses…

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb/959376/
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy