Excel Import

Last Post 25 Jul 2008 07:23 AM by pjmcbride. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
pjmcbride

--
25 Jul 2008 05:40 AM
I have an SSIS package that copies 68 rows of data from an excel spreadsheet into a table in SQL server. The table has no indexes of any kind, maybe ten columns, mostly numeric, nothing large. The package is run via SQL job every two minutes, piping the data from the Excel spreadsheet into this table.

Most of the time, the package takes between 3 and 5 seconds to complete. However, occasionally, it takes much longer: up to two minutes (yikes!).

There doesn't appear to be a lot going on with the server. It is not running anywhere close to 100%.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to begin determining what the issue is here. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Paul
pjmcbride

--
25 Jul 2008 07:23 AM
No one would be reading from or writing to the table. The table is a staging table. It is truncated before the import, populated, then truncated again after the values are exported to their real destination.

This is what has me somewhat baffled. The job.package are executing on a server with little going on. But perhaps I will try a profile, just to be sure...
pjmcbride

--
25 Jul 2008 10:39 AM
It's a spreadsheet...
pjmcbride

--
25 Jul 2008 10:55 AM
I might add that this SSIS package replaces a SQL 2000 DTS package that ran for years, performing the same function. That package rarely took more than 5 seconds to run; occasionally, it would max out at 10 seconds.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy