SQL SERVER ERROR 53 and SQL SERVER ERROR 17

Last Post 22 Sep 2007 04:24 PM by albracco. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
albracco

--
21 Sep 2007 05:54 PM
SQL server 2000 with remote clients at 3 locations. Sites had been connected via leased line. We switched everything to internet/VPN. Everything works, but a several times a day, the clients receive this error:

Microsoft SQL Server Login
Connection failed:
SQL State: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 53
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]
Connection open
(connect ( ) )
Connection failed:
SQL State: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17

If they exit and log back in, then it's OK. Here's what has changed:

New ISP at HQ and remote sites with new static IPs. New firewalls/VPN setup. VPNs setup to alloow all traffic between sites. Internal IP addresses/computer names did not change. Only exception is the HQ gateway is different, but all network settings were updated to reflect that. I have all of the remote firewalls pinging the HQ firewall every 30 seconds and have not seen any hint of a problem in the firewall logs. Seems to be isolated to SQL. None of the SQL server or client configs were touched. I know little about SQL. What do the errors above mean and does anyone have any ideas? THANKS!
SQLUSA

--
22 Sep 2007 02:29 PM
Make sure the latest service packs installed everywhere for SQL Server 2000 (SP4).

Make sure the drivers versions are the latest (related to communications).

Kalman Toth, Database Architect
SQL Server 2005 Training - http://www.sqlusa.com
albracco

--
22 Sep 2007 04:24 PM
Sorry for being SQL-ignorant, but what drivers are you referring to? Since this was all working before for years and they will be moving to new software in 3 months, I'd rather not touch SQL now if I don't have to. Maybe it's not really an SQL problem, but SQL errors as a result of some other problem? Do you know what those errors indicate?

Thanks,

Al
SQLUSA

--
23 Sep 2007 07:34 AM
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy