Transactional replication failed and dist agent now demands initial snapshot

Last Post 11 May 2004 01:43 PM by jpopnoe. 0 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jpopnoe

--
11 May 2004 01:43 PM
Transactional replication running via a pull subscription between a single subscriber and single publisher on Windows 2000 servers with SQL Server 2000.

Early on Sunday morning, the server hosting the publisher was rebooted...but SQL Server Agent failed to start fully, causing the log reader agent to not start and no alerts to trigger. A problem with the Service Control Manager on the publisher server was finally isolated as the cause this (Tuesday) morning, and SQL Server Agent finally came up properly and started all agents/functions. However, the snapshot agent ran a number of times pulling schema and batch copies for the articles in the replicated dataset, and the distribution agent now fails each time it runs with a reference to "not having the initial snapshot for the publication available".

Any chance I can circumvent having to reapply the initial snapshot (this is a large set of data), and just apply transactions from the log since my downtime has only reached about 60 hours? Or is there a setting or job run to reinitialize that will demand a complete reapplication of the snapshots?

I'm betting that the distribution agent will start moving data as soon as the snapshot agent finishes up with all articles (does not appear to have completed yet), but I'm praying there's a way to get around this...

Thanks!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy