Upgrading SQL Server 7 to 2000 fails on upgrade.sql

Last Post 07 Aug 2002 02:41 AM by KK_SQL. 14 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kolson

--
15 Apr 2002 10:19 AM
I have a SQL Server 7 SP3 on NT4.0 SP6a server I am trying to upgrade to SQL Server 2000. The 7.0 server is the default install of SQL with 3 user databases. I have applied to my SQL 2000 CD the messages.sql patch for Bug # 354376 as the upgrade appeared to fail several times on messages.sql. After trying a clean server install (again) and the patched CD failed again, I checked the SQLSTP.LOG and found that the upgrade is actually failing on upgrade.sql. Nothing found in tech net/microsoft knowledgebase on SQL upgrade failing on upgrade.sql . Has anyone run into this error on their upgrade, and how did you get around it? I don't want to do a detach database/upgrade as I have a lot of DTS's that I would hate to recreate if I can't get the msdb to upgrade.
satya

--
16 Apr 2002 12:01 AM
What's the exact error its flashing during the upgrade process.
kolson

--
16 Apr 2002 10:06 AM
Error running script: Upgrade.sql
satya

--
16 Apr 2002 11:46 PM
Did the upgrade process able to get information from the 7.0 server and 2000 server and proceeds to the next screen.

Simplyfy your query with a step-by-step process and where it fails.
kolson

--
18 Apr 2002 09:14 AM
I gave up and called Microsoft professional support, and they are stumped by it too. They had me send in all my logs, eventviewer, out files, etc from the server after trying over an hour on the phone going through the debug mode of the install along with other things. They are going to research and call me back in 24 hours, I will post their findings when I get them.
kolson

--
23 Apr 2002 06:03 AM
Update: I am sending my backups to Microsoft as their technician is stumped as to why the upgrade won't work. When they come up with a resolution I will post the answer.
dbandee

--
23 Apr 2002 06:07 AM
I had the same problem. There is an article on microsoft kb Q300676 and fix for the problem.
Good Luck
Andy Hudymyak MCP, MCDBA
gpalmer

--
21 May 2002 09:47 AM
Did microsoft ever come up with a resolution? I am upgrading as well and receiving the same message.
satya

--
12 Jun 2002 09:22 AM
Have a look at the log file created while upgrading, it may give you some root cause for this.
Paul_SQL

--
01 Aug 2002 12:36 AM

<< We have experienced this silly behaviour here in a test environment, two different machines (no Compaq Agents), the same SQL7 (from Back Office 4.5) and two different flavours of SQL2000 (Standard and Enterprise).

We've got the 'Error running script: UPGRADE.SQL' when trying to upgrade from SQL7 (No SP and SP3) to SQL2000.

In both cases, if we set up a blank password for the sa account the upgrade works.

Anyone experienced this? I've turned the MS KB upside down and didn't find one single mention on this.
>>

<< test quote >>

Paul_SQL

--
01 Aug 2002 05:55 PM
my error is almost similar to this:

Error running script: upgrade.sql(1)

I have copied the new setup.ini from http://support.microsoft.com/search...us;Q300676
but still the error still prompts.

Assuming the upgrade goes successful, in the add / remove programs as well as in the start menu will the sql 7 option automatically be change to sql 2000?

hope could get some feedback

tnx
Paul_SQL

--
01 Aug 2002 10:26 PM
I would like to inform you that the previous link already worked but there are 2 problems that arised. I think I have upgrade successfully with the new setup.ini

1.) The 'sa' password was changed and some user's passwords in the login was also changed i need to manually reset it in enterprise manager.

2.) I have local packages that does not run anymore with the following error when i executed them:

cannot open a log file of specified name. the system cannot find the path specified.

I tried to check the logs in the properties of that packgae but it seems that it is not the problem.

Please help if possible tnx
KK_SQL

--
07 Aug 2002 02:41 AM
Hi,
I had also faced the same SQL upgrade problem and had escallated the same to MS. The following was the immeadiate solution that i had got. Though in my case the failure was for Message.sql script, the steps can be followed for almost any update script failure.

Please follow the steps mentioned below, this should solve your issue.

CAUSE

During setup, SQL Server must be started and complete standard recovery
of user databases. If there are a large number of user databases, the
recovery may take several minutes to complete. A race condition is
created when setup starts SQL Server and then immediately attempts to
run Messages.sql.

To work around this problem, follow these steps:

1. Start setup from a command prompt in debugging mode:

setupsql k=Dbg

This will cause the setup program to prompt you at each step. Answer Yes
to each step until you are prompted to run the Messages.sql script
again.

2. Open a new command prompt and issue the following command to start
SQL Server:

scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 1 -Service MSSQLSERVER -StartupOptions \-T4022
\-T4010 \-m

3. After SQL Server is successfully started, you can return to the Setup
window and continue the setup process.

4. Once setup completed successfully, restart the machine and SQL Server
2000 should work fine.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.
satya

--
07 Aug 2002 07:49 AM
You explanation looks more detailed, keep it up. It helps the originator having this upgrade issues.
KK_SQL

--
12 Aug 2002 10:58 PM
Thanx Satya, hope its useful.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy