Next Record not being read - very strange

Last Post 10 May 2005 11:08 AM by cacrawford. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
smueller72

--
09 May 2005 11:17 AM
I've made a very slight change to an existing data driven query task - i.e. just added a new field to the insert and update queries. Now when I run the package only the first record from the staging table gets processed and then the next record does not appear to get read and the processing of the task just 'sits'. I have thrown this into a debugger so I am able to tell it's not in some type of loop but rather that the next record does not get read and the processing does not continue(but there is no sign of any errors and the package does not bomb). This is very odd and this is a package/step that has been running fine on a nightly basis for years - until now. I don't know where else to turn on this. It is very baffling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cacrawford

--
10 May 2005 11:08 AM
I don't have many ideas to help you, but since no one else has jumped in, I'll give you what I have (besides my sympathy).

Check your transformation - is the status somehow getting set to something wierd? I think some of them (like maybe DTSTransformStat_SkipFetch = 4) will keep you on the same row.

Check for blocking (source & target), is something preventing you from reading or writing?

When you changed the query, did you add the parameter placeholders too (the question marks)?

If you run a trace (on the source and target), do you see any activity? Do all the queries finish, or are some 'hung out to dry'?

Does the transformation map the new columns added to the insert/update queries?

What happens when you delete the 2nd record in the table, will it run then? What if you delete the first? All but the first? All but a random record in the middle somewhere?

As you can tell, I'm kinda digging for suggestions and don't have anything specific. I doubt any of this will help, but at least you know someone looked.

--PS, what did you mean "ran it through the debugger?" did you export the DTS package and load it in VB Studio? If so, where exactly is it hanging up and did you notice anything else like pegged CPU (and which CPU - yours/source/target)?
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy