SQL Backup file - extension is .BAK

Last Post 17 Feb 2006 02:06 PM by nosepicker. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JVRudnick

--
17 Feb 2006 05:48 AM
Hello all...
have a new client, who's tendered their dbase to me in the form filename.BAK

I am "told" that it's an SQL dbase, but I do not know what to do with same? How can I 'restore' the original dbase files using Enterprise Mgr...ie what do I need to do to use this file?

Also, isn't the proper extension for a back up something "else" other than .BAK
???

Jim
JVRudnick

--
17 Feb 2006 06:42 AM
???

sorry you lost me there?

I understand that I'm to use this line....

restore database db_name from disk = 'path\file.bak' with replace

But I dont' follow you? where do I enter this? I dont' have the dbase as yet on my localserver, so I'm lost a bit...

Can you "spell" out this a bit more for me, ie a 1, 2, 3 type of how to so I understand what's needed?

Jim
nosepicker

--
17 Feb 2006 02:06 PM
I assume you're using Microsoft SQL Server, since you mentioned using Enterprise Manager. Try to avoid using a term like "dbase", because it sounds you are talking the database application called "dBase". Anyway, to use rm's command ("restore database db_name from disk = 'path\file.bak' with replace"), you open the SQL Server application called Query Analyzer. You can get to this from either the Start Menu, under the Microsoft SQL Server program group, or from the Enterprise Manager (from the "Tools" menu). If you expand and click within an existing database, the Query Analyzer will automatically connect to you to that particular database. Otherwise, you may have to enter a login and password to connect to a chosen database. From the Query Analyzer top pane, you can execute the command that rm gave to you. However, if you have never done this kind of thing before, I would suggest reading up a little bit before doing stuff like this. Try to become a little more familiar with Query Analyzer and SQL Server in general. BTW, the "restore database ..." command will create a new database, based on the one in the backup file, if it doesn't already exist in your server.
nosepicker

--
17 Feb 2006 02:12 PM
BTW, to restore a database from a backup from the Enterprise Manager, right click Databases and go to All Tasks and then Restore Database. From there, you can select the name of the database you want to create/restore, among other things. Choose to restore "from device", since you are using a backup file not created by your instance of SQL Server.
Lee

--
24 Feb 2006 12:37 PM
default is .bak but u can use most anything u like. use comments above to point to it and see what happens!!!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy