Fast Load Issue in Data Flow Task

Last Post 03 Mar 2007 12:59 AM by SQLUSA. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Pryzm

--
02 Mar 2007 07:39 AM
For the packages that drive the loading of our data warehouse, I'm configuring server and database names as variables and passing them into OLE DB connections.

Our data flow tasks move data across servers and were designed to use these connections.

But when I configure an OLE DB destination to use a connection for which server and database names are populated through variables, the data flow task loses the ability to do a fast load (i.e. the fast load option disappears from the Data Access Mode drop-down list in the OLE DB Destination editor).

When I edit the OLE DB destination to use a "static" connection, i.e. one for which server and database names don't change, the fast load option reappears on the Data Access Mode drop-down list in the OLE DB Destination Editor.

It would be great to resolve this issue and I'd appreciate any help. By the way, were doing it this way so that configuration files can be used to enable deployments between development, QA, and production environments more easily.

Thanks for any help...
SQLUSA

--
03 Mar 2007 12:59 AM
Where are you populating server and database names from?

Kalman Toth
SQLUSA: http://www.sqlusa.com
Pryzm

--
12 Mar 2007 08:40 AM
Hi,

All I'm doing is specifying server name and database name in string variables that have package-level scope. Connection properties are defined thru these variables by using expressions with the ConnectionString, InitialCatalog, and ServerName properties.

What I'd like to do is edit a configuration file with an XML editor to change those names when we are ready to deploy to production.

But as soon as I define the connection's properties through these expressions, the ability to do a fast load disappears from the Data Access Mode drop-down list in the OLE DB Destination Editor.

Sorry if this is unclear; please let me know and I'll try to be more specific.

Thanks,
Pryzm
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy