ODBC--connection to 'unlocking' failed.

Last Post 11 Aug 2004 09:06 AM by Bedheaded. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bedheaded

--
11 Aug 2004 08:13 AM
We are using an Access 2002 front-end with SQL Server 2000 as the database.

There is a table (dbo_PrivateGroup) that if you try to open it in the table view, in a query, in a report, or through the application, you get the following Error message:

ODBC--connection to 'unlocking' failed.

Does anyone know what this means and how I am supposed to get around this?

I tried it on the actual server itself and I can read the table through Access, through the application when it is running, and through Enterprise Manager. This machine is logged in with "Administrator" as the user id.

The table is on a different database than the other tables in the application.

It is a user table. And I checked the permissions and all users have select, insert, and delete permissions allowed. However, when I go to look at the columns property, none are checked for any user and when I go to check the boxes for all columns, I hit Apply, then Close. When I go back into that screen for that given user, the columns weren't saved.

My database knowledge is creating tables, stored procedures, and triggers. They don't have a DBA here and my knowledge is limited. Is the problem in SQL Server or Access?

I don't know if any of this makes sense. But if it does, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Bedheaded

--
11 Aug 2004 09:06 AM
double post
Bedheaded

--
11 Aug 2004 09:08 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is mdac?

Does my explanation make sense?

I have been focusing on the ODBC settings on the client, but I may be looking in the wrong place.
Bedheaded

--
11 Aug 2004 09:22 AM
Ok, I ran the component check on the client and the server (the machine that works)

The client returned: MDAC 2.7 SP1 ON WINDOWS XP SP1
The server returned: MDAC 2.8 RTM
Bedheaded

--
11 Aug 2004 09:32 AM
I just went into Access on the client machine and highlighted the table and went to the Linked Table Manager and selected the proper ODBC configuration and it now works.

I am going to try it on another client machine.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy