Rendering Report to File

Last Post 30 Jul 2004 06:22 AM by xfonhe. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jeffp77

--
29 Jul 2004 07:46 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to "render" a report from SQL Reporting Services directly to a file, PDF, or other format, using the URL command(s). Thanks!!
xfonhe

--
29 Jul 2004 08:24 AM
Set up a subscription in Report Manager. All of the options you listed as requirements are there.
jeffp77

--
29 Jul 2004 09:42 AM
xfonhe -

Thanks for the reply. We looked at subscriptions, but trying to explain them to non-database/SQL Server type people will prove to be a but cumbersome and problematic. Instead, we would like to provide a custom interface, where they select their report options, we build the URL (which we have done successfully), and have the report generated to a PDF (or other) file. The only problem is that when we generate the report, it propmts us to select to open or save the file, then enter a file name/location. We would like to be able to just pass the file name/location in the URL string and be done with it. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!!
xfonhe

--
30 Jul 2004 06:22 AM
Hmmm, interesting... I have not attempted to do that.

If it were me, I'd set up data-driven subscriptions and push the reports in whatever format the user specifies to their email or a file share. (the latter allows you to pick up the reports as web parts for a portal site)
This, of course, is 100% dependant on the data requirements... do users need 'real-time' data access, or can the data be 'stale' (ie 1+ hours old)
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy