"DoubleClick" spyware

Last Post 09 Jul 2004 03:27 AM by mmcginty. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
copelandr

--
02 Jul 2004 06:05 PM
I run Spybot 1.3 to keep spyware off my computer. One of the most annoying things about the SQL Mag site right now is that on every single page I go to on this site, I get the message from Spybot that says, "Spybot reports that you want to download "DoubleClick". This is a known threat. Do you want to block this download?" I'm getting tired of clicking Yes. I finally had to change the settings in Spybot not to ask me to confirm blocking spyware. What a pain.

Richard
mmcginty

--
09 Jul 2004 03:27 AM
Dude that's heinous! And no replies?

As I've said before I think the publisher needs to exercise more editorial control over ad content. They need a clearly stated policy covering what advertisers are [not] allowed to do, and a definitive yet simple mechanism for users to report violaters, that pinpoints the offending ad and copies its code.

From there confirmed violations should be sanctioned swiftly and harshly, perhaps with a "fine" for the first offense, and by banning thereafter.

If there are any advertisers that object to such a policy, then imho opening-up users' machines to them is irresponsible, they don't belong advertising here.

I've also said before that we as users would be foolish to try to deny this publication its revenue stream, but even so it can't be selling-out its user base and the machines used to read it for mere money. There's got to be an ethical line drawn, and it must be actively enforced... otherwise color me gone.

... uh oh... nice... the ad with embedded doubleclick.net link is for SQL Server Mag... so much for ethics to protect us...

-Mark
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy