Cannot access linked server

Last Post 21 Jun 2004 07:37 AM by AlanPeter. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AlanPeter

--
21 Jun 2004 07:05 AM
I have a registered another server also running SQL Server2000, but when I try and query a database on it I get the following message:

SELECT * FROM [serverX].[DBx]..[TbX]
Server: Msg 7411, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Server 'serverX' is not configured for DATA ACCESS.

These 2 servers successfully do replication to one another and I have administration rights to both of them. I can find no reference to this 'DATA ACCESS configurating' anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what it'd referring to?

thanks,
Alan
AlanPeter

--
21 Jun 2004 07:37 AM
Unfortunately I have done that and the 'Data Access' box is checked on the 'Server Options' tab in the 'Linked Servers' section. I'm somewhat perplexed as to why it won't play ball with me.
AlanPeter

--
21 Jun 2004 11:54 PM
I seem to have got past the 'Data Access' message but am now getting the following message whatever I try and do in the 'Security' tab. I've tried all the logins at my disposal including ones that are used for both servers.

Server: Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Line 1
Login failed for user 'Administrator'.
dclemens

--
22 Jun 2004 01:50 AM
How did you solved the problem "Server 'servername' is not configured for DATA ACCESS"? I got the same error message under certain circumstances :-(

danny
AlanPeter

--
22 Jun 2004 05:01 AM
I was stupidly using the name of the server as it had been registered in Enterprise Manager as opposed to the different name it had been assigned on the 'Linked servers' tab. However, I have now complied with all the suggestions I have found relating to the security error messages I'm getting but it's still blocking me. I've given up on this one for the time being.
AlanPeter

--
23 Jun 2004 12:47 AM
I went to the linked servers security tab and tried every combination I could think of. So I've tried local login entries, I've had the Impersonate box checked and unchecked, I've tried the Remote user and Remote password entries and the remote login with password at the bottom of the tab. The only one I had slight success with was entering a login that is valid for both servers with impersonate checked. It then let me click on tables under the linked server and displayed the tables in the catalog I'd entered for the linked server. However, I get invalid object error messages if I try and use the linked server in a SQL query. If I enter 'SQLOLEDB' for 'Provider' I get the following error message.

Error 7399 OLE DB Provider SQLOLEDB reported an error.

I found a description of this error along with a 'workaround' on the net but it didn't make any difference.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy