sql server 2005 disk usage and performance

Last Post 18 Jan 2010 06:49 AM by timcronin. 0 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
timcronin

--
18 Jan 2010 06:49 AM
I have a group of databases that support a single application. There are 8 in total 5 of which are more of a reference type that are under 1 gig. I have one db that handles alot of preprocessing (about 2 gig) that support my 2 heavy transaction db's (both about 50 gig). Running on an active/passive sql 2005 ent edition with 48 gig of memory. It is attached to an emc san running fiber. In the next 6 months I can expect the workload of my 3 larger db's to double along with the amount of transactions. I know I will have to add some disks to support this growth. Currently I have the db's mdf on their on array, the index files on their own array, and the log files and tempdb on their own array. What I am looking at is whether moving the heavy workload db's to their own arrays. Are there some dmv's which may help me poing to which db's and objects are the heavy hitters on disk and which may benefit from their own disks (this app is a 3rd party so I have little influence on how a lot of it is written). Not looking for a specific answer, just some directions
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy