Logshipping tlog.trn file fails to copy to secondary after few hours (overnight)...?

Last Post 15 Mar 2005 11:29 AM by vnomura. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
vnomura

--
15 Mar 2005 10:21 AM
Hi All,

Firstly I find this forum to be an excellent source of information. Unfortunately I was unable to find an answer to the cause of my problem.

For some unknown reason the .trn files that should be copied over to the secondary server stops overnight.

Background info:

2 Windows 2003 servers (primary and secondary)
2 SQL ent Ed.
both servers on a w2k domain
SQL agent running as administrator on domain account
log shipping setup at about 5pm, .trn files copied over to secondary up until 1:45am the next day (everything working fine as backup and restore works)
copy/lod frequency is 15 mins
leave secondary in standby mode and terminate users set

On Secondary server:
Both log shipping copying and restore SQL agent jobs says the job was sucessful

On Primary server:
Transaction log backup Job for DB maintenance plan "DB Maintenance Plan1" last run suceeded
Log shipping alert Job- Backup Succeeded
Log shipping alert Job- Restore FAILED*
Monitoring server is the primary server**

* It always says that it failed from the start but I know that the secondary is being updated and in sync until sometime in the night (1:45am last time)

** Says it's out of sync from the begining. I know it's not true in the beginning as I make a change on the primary DB and xx mins later, I can query the secondary DB and see that the change as taken place.

If I change the monitoring server to the secondary server, the log shipping alert for backup fails and restore alert is fine (switches around)???

When I came back to the office in the morning I looked at the shared folder on the secondary server and noticed that the .trn files stoped coming in at 1:45am. (they are created fine on the primary).

The secondary database was not being updated. (confirmed)

I manually copied all the missing .trn files over to the secondary from the primary and waited 15+ minutes. The secondary DB was updated sucessfully.

Currently I must manually copy the files over to keep the DB's in sync. Why does SQL agent stop coping the files over after a few hours???

Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions you may have. If you need more info, please let me know. This problem is driving me crazy.

Regards,

Victor

vnomura

--
15 Mar 2005 11:29 AM
Hi rm,

Thanks for your reply. Yes there is plenty of space. It just stops to copy over. I don't think there are any network issues since at 2am there is no traffic. (both servers on same switch)

There isn't anything set to run at 2am also.

I'm going to delete the log shipping plan and start over and see if it fails at exactly the same time.

PS. what job is responsible for copying over the .trn file....?

Regards,

Victor
vnomura

--
15 Mar 2005 12:42 PM
Hi rm,

The log files didn't indicate any problems.

Regards,

Victor

PS. now getting message saying "cannot copy initialization file to the secondary server..."

rebooting secondary now. If that doesn't work... I'm going to try setting up a different share directory/folder
jason_hoyle

--
23 May 2005 12:18 AM
I also get this problem, it all sets up fine but all of a sudden it fails to copy and goes out of sync
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy